How effective is the combination
of your main product and ancilliary
Putting our brand together
In order to strengthen the brand we used synergy in
each part of marketing campaign (digipack, poster,
music video). This use of branding is part of the
marketing strategy, promotion of the band is rarely
about music its more about the star image and the
publicity that this can create.
• Keith Negus argues that the pop music video is used as a
• Our CD Digipak cover is crucial artwork which markets the image of the
artist, before the music is purchased.
• We wanted the album cover and over design to link to the set of the music
video with the hanging lights and the mirrors floating in the back ground. We
also when taking the photo made sure the main face (lead singer) of the
band was at the front .
Our Artist Image
• The visual ‘star’image according
to Dyer, communicates important
messages to the audience.
• We wanted the band to have a
Rockstar image, we tried to do
this with the costume they wore
e.g. leather and denim jackets,
and skinny jeans these are items
of clothing commonly associated
with rockstar e.g. the leather
jackets of the RAMONES. Keith
Negus identifies star image as
being "a specific product with a
brand identity, ready for mass
consumption." the use of
costumes helps us achieve a
brand identity and star persona.
The Music Posters
Posters are a vital part of any
marketing campaign, Some posters
have become iconic and famous. Iconic
images have helped retain the
popularity of existing the legendary
The campaign would take place with the posters being
posted on billboards and in magazines like Kerrang. We
would want the billboards to be in areas which get seen
most by people the target audience who will actually buy
the album or want to see the band perform live so outside
record stores or flyposter venues were the band may be
playing this will help to strengthen the bands star persona
as many rock bands have fly posterd concert venues.
• All music posters are about promotion. They fall into three main categories:
• Promotion of single or album release
• Promotion of a tour or live appearance
• General fan posters of an artists of band
In order for the Digipack being further promoted, I
designed a poster to be given with the Digipack
this will help to increase the sellabilty of the
Digipack. The poster is similar design to the
digipack this use on synergy will further
strengthen the brand.
Music poster evaluation
• Music posters are carefully constructed according to convention to
communicate certain messages about the artist. Images may consist of
album cover, artwork, photographs of the band artist, graphics and texts.
The purpose of the poster is to promote the band, the
poster clearly has the name of the band on it “synergy”.
The poster is a mix of photography and graphics , with
“out now” written at the bottom with the album name
“stay with me” at the top.
The poster should have included information of when
the album comes out e.g. 2/1/2012. This would be the
only thing I would change.
• As our band was a new band we wanted a photo of them on the front, as the
fan base isn’t strong enough yet to just have the name of the band.
• The album would be for sale online of the bands website, Amazon, itunes, in
record shops like hmv and independent ones, also as our artist is fairly
mainstream it could be for sale in Tesco stores and other supermarket.
• The digipack design is fairly I catching but not a I catching as established
artists like The xx with the bold and striking design.
The Marketing Mix
• Philip Kotler defines marketing as a : ‘human activity directed at
satisfying needs and wants through exchange processes’.
• The four P’s
• Price –how much the product will cost/ consumers will pay for
• Place – how is the product distributed and marketed to the target
• Product – what is being branded (in this case the ‘star image’)
• Promotion – how is it advertised, where and publicised.
• The star image the we have tried to create across the 3 methods of
promoting and marketing the band (Digipack, Poster and Music video) is a
rock star boy band persona. The 3 forms compliment each other by using
I think we have achieved
the star persona we
• The music video should be featured on TV channels such as Kerrang as it
has a rock fan base, but also our band are quite mainstream so it could
feature on more mainstream music TV channels and TV shows like UkTop
• The band would feature in various magazines the rock ones like Kerrang as
well as other more mainstream publications such as NME.
• Both of these magazines have a large fan base with a large share of the
music magazine market increasing exposure for the band, the are also easy
to get hold off
• The music video product would be shown on TV channels at most times of
the day as its fairly mainstream so can attract a large audience, it also isn't
explicit so can legally be shown throughout the day with out bleeps put in.
The CD could be purchased both online e.g. Amazon
and in high street stores such s hmv and due to its
fairly mainstream genre supermarkets like Tesco
would probably stock it.
Evaluation of question
• I think the 3 media forms we used to promote the band works well there is a
strong synergy between them all which helps to strengthen the bands image
and fan base.
• I would included more information on the poster about album release dates.
• I think the strongest part of the campaign is the strong links between the
video and the album artwork which will help the band to sell more records.
• We chose virgin records for our band to be signed to.