3. Worksheet“Describe your last negotiation in outline form”What were the key aspects of the negotiation? TerriGriffith.com/blo
4. Developing a Language
6. Sides of the table…
7. Negotiation: Deciding what resources parties each willgive and take in an exchange
8. Preparation Leads to Better Deals TerriGriffith.com/blo
9. New Hire1. Familiarize yourself with your role & the situation (5 min)2. Decide what you would like to accomplish (pick a goal - 2 min)3. Decide how you would like to accomplish it (brainstorm tactics - 3 min)4. Agreement on all issues, or impasse5. Negotiate Outside of Room6. Record Outcomes on Board
10. Types of IssuesDistributive Different Preferences Same ValuesCongruent Same PreferencesIntegrative Different Preferences Diff Values
12. Strategies Collaborate/ Accommodate IntegrateWhat theOther Party CompromiseWants Avoid Compete What I Want
13. Worksheet5. __________ only gets you ______ of what you want.6. __________ issues are where ____________.7. __________ issues are where ___________.8. __________ issues are where ___________.
14. Two Tasks1. Getting Information – Not just positions – Underlying preferences, priorities2. Using Information – Not just tug of war – Identifying/creating value
15. Information SharingAsk questions – but why should they tell you?Give information – reciprocityFind superordinate goals – super congruent issuesMake offers - packaging
16. Creating Value by… +Image (CC) Brian Solis, www.briansolis.com and bub.blicio.us
17. Creating Value by…
18. Not what people want, butwhy they want it … and finding ways to address underlying preferences/priorities that satisfy your own
19. Worksheet9. Not what people want, but ___________.10. _____________ & _____________ are two methods of creating more value in the negotiation.
20. Worksheet1. Preparation for negotiation is trivial or involved?2. What three kinds of information do you need to brainstorm about before your first meeting about a negotiation? TerriGriffith.com/blo
24. Worksheet3. When you have time, what is the agenda for your first negotiation meeting?4. Describe at least two tactics for gathering information from the stakeholders to a negotiation: TerriGriffith.com/blo
25. Second Context:Performance InterviewChris – Brand ManagerLee – Product Manager
26. WorksheetRead your case and determine:Your basic goal in the meetingPlan how to achieve that goal
27. Be Strategic In Your Preparation• What’s your BATNA?• What’s the other party’s BATNA?• What are the issues & outcomes?• What are the other party’s issues & outcomes?• How are the outcomes valued?• Strategies and techniques you can apply?
28. WorksheetWhat can you take away regarding alternativepoints of view?What about long versus short term goals and howyou value them?BATNA? Other preparation that would have beenuseful?
29. Technology ToolsOrganizational Practice People