1) Society is the union itself, the organization, the sum of formal relations, in which association of individuals are found together. Popenoe D
2) A society is a collection of individuals united by certain relations or modes of behavior which mark them off from others who do not enter into these relations and who differ from them in behavior. Giddings, F.H
3) An abstract term that connotes the complex of interrelations that exit between and among the members of the group. Odum H.W
4) Society is an abstract system, pattern or organization. It is not a group of persons but the structure of their behaviors and relationships, and there is psychic element in these relationships. Cooley C.H
5) Society is complex of forms or processes each of which is living and growing by interaction with the other, the whole being so unified that what takes place in one part affects all the rest the rest. Talcott Parsons
According to the formalistic school the subject matter of sociology consists of the forms of sociology relationships. These sociologists wish to keep the scope of sociology distinct from other social sciences. They regard sociology as pure and independent.
As against the formal school the synthetic school seeks to make sociology a synthesis of the social sciences or a general science. Modern sociologists among them Durkheim, Hobhouse and Sorokin subscribe is to this point of view. According to this opinion, sociology is the science of science and all the sciences are included in its scope.
It is realized to an individual that “ alone ” he is nothing.
Importance for Society
Sociology aware the people with the Social realities and values.
Importance at Global Level
Sociology tries to inculcate the people that peaceful co-existence and status co is relevant and important for all nations.
Importance Business Professionals
By providing in depth knowledge of Society the Sociology enables the Business Professionals to interact properly with individuals and organizations using the knowledge of the Social dynamics of the Society to expand the business opportunity.
Importance for Pakistan
Sociology is important for Pakistan to create Social harmony and build national character.