Quraishi M Shoeb Alimuddin
ELCTRONIC & TELECOMMUNICATION
AIKTC School Of Engineering
PREVIOUS DRAW BACKS
• Current & future demands in mobile communication
for various high speed multimedia data services entail
a robust,high data rate transmission system.
• Some problems likeMultipath Fading,
• To overcome the above all problem SMART
ANTENNAS are used for Mobile Communication.
• Some techniques are used in smart antenna design
• The smart antenna system estimates the direction of
arrival of the signal.
• The Smart antenna was developed for “Military Communications” &
• The Growth of Cellular Telephone in The year 1980 attracted interest in
• The Mobile Phone Indoor Wireless & Satellite Broadcasting Industries
Created New Opportunities for Smart Antenna in the 1990s.
• Array Communication in the 1992.
• Designed to increased the capacity of Wireless employing Time Division
Development of 4G MIMO
• Antenna is electrical device which converted electric power into
Electromagnetic waves or vice versa.
• A Smart Antenna consist of an antenna array, that changes the
array pattern in response to signal Environment to improve the
performance of a Communication System.
• Smart Antenna is not smart,it is the digital signal processing, along
with the antennas,which makes the system smart.
• Smart Antenna System are basically an extension of cell sectoring
in which the sector coverage is composed of multiple beams.
WHAT IS DOA ESTIMATION ?
• It is direction of arrival.
• The smart antenna estimates the direction of arrival of the
signal,using technique such as MUSIC (multiple signal
classification) estimation of signal parmeters via rotational
invariance techniques (ESPRIT) algorithms,Matrix Pencil
method or one of their derivatives.
• They involve finding a spatial spectrum of the antenna/sensor
array, and calculating the DOA from the peaks of this spectrum
• Used to create the
radiation pattern of the
• FIR tapped delay line
• The weights of the FIR
filter may also be changed
adaptively, and used to
TYPES OF SMART ANTENNA
Smart Antenna System are of two types:
* Switched Beam Antenna System.
*Adaptive Array Antenna System.
SWITCHED BEAM ANTENNA SYSTEM
It is an extension of Cell Sectoring as
each sector is subdivided into smaller
The switched beam System detects
the signal strength & continually
switches the beam as necessary.
The overall goal of the switched
beam system is to increase the gain
according to the location of the user.
If there is an interfere near the center
of the active beam,it may be enhanced
more then the desired user.
ADAPTIVE ARRAY ANTENNA SYSTEM
>Adaptive array systems can customize
an appropriate radiation pattern for each
>Adaptive array system can locate and
track signals(users and interferers).
>This provides optimal gain while
simultaneously identifying,tracking and
minimizing interfering signals.
>It can customize an appropriate
radiation pattern for each individual user.
CELLULAR & WIRELESS NETWORK
WIRELESS SENSOR NETWORK
• In mobile handsets to achieve much better
• 4G system with 1Gbit/s data rate and freq 20-100mhz
• Detect malignant tumors.
• Smart Antenna are the intelligent antenna systems that
improve the efficiency of Wireless transmission.
• Promising technology to resolve the traffic capacity
• Efficient utilization of the scarcest resource of today’s
wireless comm.the RF spectrum.