1. wants to help researchers organize, share, and discover research papers. Add venue/date if needed
2. <ul><li>What is Mendeley? </li></ul><ul><li>Creating your library </li></ul><ul><li>Managing your documents & references </li></ul><ul><li>Citing and sharing references </li></ul>Agenda
3. What is Mendeley?
4. Based in London, Mendeley are 15 researchers, graduates and software developers from... ...backed by co-founders and former executives of:
5. works like this: 1) Install “Audioscrobbler” 2) Listen to music 3) Last.fm builds your music profile and recommends you music you also could like... and it’s the world‘s biggest open music database Last.fm Mendeley
6. research libraries researchers papers disciplines music libraries artists songs genres Last.fm Mendeley
7. What is Mendeley? Mendeley is free academic software (Win, Mac & Linux) to manage, share, read, annotate and cite your research papers... ...and a research network to manage your papers online, discover research trends and statistics, and to connect to like-minded researchers.
8. What is Mendeley? Set up and manage your collections Add tags & notes and edit document details Library showing all your documents (citation or table view) Filter your papers by authors, keywords, tags, or publications
9. Creating your library
10. Adding your papers <ul><li>You have different options to set up your library: </li></ul><ul><li>Add single files or an entire folder </li></ul><ul><li>“ Watch a folder” to automatically import PDF files </li></ul><ul><li>Add existing EndNote/BibTeX/RIS databases, or… </li></ul>… drag & drop PDF files into the library pane… … and Mendeley will try to extract the document details automatically
11. Document details lookup You can also try to complete the document details by querying various databases ( Crossref, PubMed, ArXiv or Google Scholar) Enter the DOI, PubMed, or ArXiv ID and click on the magnifier glass to start lookup And remember – made a mistake? Press CTRL+Z (or Edit > Undo) to undo the last step
12. Web Importer To install the Web Importer, drag & drop the bookmarklet to your Favorites/Bookmarks in your internet browser Supported sites www.mendeley.com/import The Web Importer helps you to grab citations off the web
13. Using the Web Importer On the web page with the reference(s) you want to capture: click on the bookmarklet… … then click on “Import” to import the reference/paper to your Mendeley library. If possible/available, also the associated PDF will be imported.
14. Synchronize and manage your library online Synchronize your library You can also add references and edit & manage your library online In addition, you will get statistics about your library, your impact and your research field (see later)
15. Managing your documents & references
16. Manage your library Star your favorite papers Documents can be marked read/unread Filter by authors, tags, publications or keywords Open attached PDF files in integrated viewer
17. Search as you type
18. Full text search in Mendeley’s PDF viewer
19. Annotate and highlight
20. Mendeley‘s File Organizer Mendeley can also organize your PDF files in a consistent folder structure on your hard disk and rename them according to their document details You can find the File Organizer in Tools > Options > File Organizer
21. Citing and sharing references
22. Citing in Word & Open Office Click on “Insert Citation” in Word Highlight the paper you want to cite
23. Citing in Word & Open Office “ Send citation” to Word Citation will show up based on selected style Cite into Google documents or other editors by copy & paste
24. Creating bibliographies Insert a bibliography based on the citations
25. Public Collections (“Reading Lists”) View the collection online – other users can subscribe via clicking on “Subscribe” on the collection page. A Public Collection acts like a “Reading List” – you can add references to the collection, and users who have subscribed to this collection will get the references pushed into their Mendeley account. PDFs are not attached. You can make a collection public in “Edit Settings”
26. Shared Collections Only the members of this collection can see it online A shared collection allows a research group to create a private, shared library and to collaboratively edit and annotate documents and references.
27. Create your professional research profile
28. Discover research statistics
29. Discover research statistics What is your impact?
30. Leave feedback and see what’s coming next Visit http://feedback.mendeley.com to see what others are saying, leave feedback, request features or report bugs