Mendeley (desktop) works on Windows, Mac, and Linex and Mendeley (web) supports all major browsers. Mendeley is now also available on iOS devices such as iPad, iPhone an Antroid app is due to be released June 2015. You need both the desktop version and the web version . A stand-alone web version is due later in 2015.
Navigate to http://www.mendeley.com/ and create a free personal account.
If you brought your laptop today, download the version for your laptop, and install. If you are using a Library computer, sorry, you won’t be able to download the desktop version until you are at your home computer.
From the Desktop Version, click Tools and click Install Web Importer – this installs a bookmark into your browser. Then click install Word plugin. Mendeley only has a plugin for Microsoft Word.
Move pdf’s from your computer to Mendeley: http://screencast.com/t/QJ2QzlhG Check metadata for each article http://screencast.com/t/nvhflLFX Another example: http://screencast.com/t/WJmh7Nt47eaF You need to do this or the citations won’t be correct! Sync! You can view annotations on the iOS version, but not the web version; You can only make annotations and create citations using the desktop version.
Add articles while searching, the movie: http://screencast.com/t/005gADXGs When we get Premium edition we’ll be able to give you the Open URL information so you can search Library databases from Mendeley web; You can search Google Scholar, and the other databases integrated with Mendeley web, but they won’t identify which papers are available in the SMC library. If you see “not in your library” when you import a document, that means you haven’t previously added that article to your personal Mendeley library.
The movie demonstrating adding notes and annotations. http://screencast.com/t/Sz6w5EKDRgh3
Movie showing using the Word plugin to create citations and a bibliography: http://screencast.com/t/r6KFVFYXu
Mendeley Groups guide: http://community.mendeley.com/guides/groups Mendeley iOs guide: http://community.mendeley.com/guides/ios The 5 minute video tutorial: https://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fyoutube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DGv6_HuCYExM
Linda Wobbe, Saint Mary‘s College Library
Seven simple steps
What is Mendeley?
• Organizes articles and citations you have
collected into a “Library”
• Saves your notes and annotations with each
• Formats citations and bibliographies when you
write your paper
You need both:
First: Create an Account
• Navigate to Mendeley.com and create a
Now you are ready to add articles!
• Move pdf’s into Mendeley Desktop from your computer
• You can also import citations from other reference managers
• If I can do it, you can do it!
– Move pdf’s from your computer to Mendeley desktop
– It’s a Library it must be cataloged!
– Check Metadata for each article
– Click Sync in Mendeley Desktop
– Now you can view your articles from the web
or iOS versions
Add new articles while searching
• Search Library databases and save pdf’s into a “Watch Folder”
on your computer http://screencast.com/t/005gADXGs
• From Mendeley desktop, use File > Add Watch Folder to
identify any folder on your computer as a Watch Folder.
Mendeley will automatically add pdf’s from your Watch Folder
into your Mendeley library
• You guessed it – check the metadata for each article
Add notes and annotations to your
• The Notes pane applies to the
entire article. I like to record how
I found the article
• Highlight article points you want
• Click “Note” to create annotations
– like sticky notes. You can copy
and paste text or create your own
comments, or both.
Cite while you write and create a
• From Mendeley desktop, Click the Tools menu in the
toolbar, and install the Word plugin if you haven’t
already done so
• Open Word; in the View menu in the toolbar, open
the Mendeley toolbar
• When you are ready to enter citations,
click Insert Citation and search your library by
author, keyword, year
• When you are ready to create a bibliography, place
your cursor where the bibliography should go and
click insert bibliography
• Use the drop-down menu in the Mendeley Word
plugin toolbar to change styles at any time
More to learn
• Collaborating in Groups: : http://community.mendeley.com/guides/groups
• Mobile Mendeley : http://community.mendeley.com/guides/ios
• Mendeley Guides : http://community.mendeley.com/guides
• Mendeley Tutorials : http://community.mendeley.com/guides/videos
• Mendeley Support : http://support.mendeley.com/
• My favorite 5 minute video tutorial
• Contact Linda with your Mendeley questions!
• Lwobbe@stmarys-ca.edu (925) 631-4232
A global research network with 3.0 million users