1. LIS Links:A Virtual Community of Indian Libraryand Information Science Professionals By Badan Barman SIS 2012 CET Hall, NIT Silchar, Assam 26-28 November, 2012
2. 1. IntroductionLIS Links (http://www.lislinks.com) is a social networking and collaborative initiative platform devoted to the Indian Library and Information Science. The developer called it as LIS Links as it is targeted to link all Library and Information Science Professionals in India.
3. 2. The Problemi) Multiple Address Book with Outdated Contact Detailsii) Slow Flaw of Informationiii) Isolated Environmentiv) Paper Based Work is Costlierv) Paper Creating Environment Pollutionvi) Duplication and Irrelevancy Wasting the Time of the Professionalsvii) Information is Widely Distributed and Hard to Find
4. 3. Aims and Objectivesa) To provide a person to person and group based communication medium for the Indian LIS Professionals with Web 2.0 tools and techniques.b) To provide CAS/SDI services to the Indian LIS Professionals based on the voluntary collaboration of the members.c) To act as an entry point for the LIS students, research scholars, librarians and LIS academicians to all the resources related to Library and Information Science that makes their origin in India, and / or those outside born resources on Library and Information Science in India.d) To support the LIS students, research scholars, librarians and LIS academicians in their all round development.e) To designed and develop an online database of Library and Information Science Professional in India.
5. 4. ScopeSubjectGeographical Coverage
6. 5. Hardware and Software Used in the ProjectA simple PC with internet connectivityNing (http://www.ning.com)Yahoo Pipes (http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/)Google Reader (http://www.google.com/reader/)Feedburner (http://www.feedburner.com)Bookmark (http://www.addthis.com).Google SMS Channel(http://labs.google.co.in/smschannels/)Twitter (http://www.twitter.com)Facebook (http://www.facebook.com)
7. 6. Flow of Information at LIS Links
8. 8. Updating and Archiving Policya) Disinformationb) Destruction of Informationc) Dynamism of Information
9. 9. Overall Impact of LIS Linksi) Gatewayii) Online Database of LIS Professionalsiii) A Fully Community Driven Web Solutioniv) Communication Mediumv) Duplication and Irrelevancy are Avoidedvi) Speedy Dissemination of Informationvii) Pioneer Academic Social Networkviii) Huge Subscribersix) High Pageviewsx) Paper based information is Replacedxi) Frequently Updated