To classify means to organize items into groups
Can you think of
anything that is
We can classify…
Rocks And much, much
Different kinds of classification
• We can classify items in different ways
• A very simple way to classify is to put things in
• For example, you could classify the students in
your class by arranging them in order from
tallest to shortest
• In science class, you could arrange a set of
graduate cylinders in order from the greatest
volume to the least volume
• What else could you classify using serial
• Another way to classify is to divide items into
two groups, based on a property
• When items are classified this way, one group
has the property, and the other group does
What are some things that you could classify
How are these classified?
• In this kind of classification, we organize items
into multiple groups
• Usually, the groups do not overlap—items fit
into one and only group
There are more
categories, of course!
You can classify!
• What are some things that you classify each
• What kind of classification do you use?
– Serial (putting things in order)
– Binary (two groups)
– Multi-stage (several groups)
Why do scientists classify?
Why do scientists use the skill of classification?