Here are just a few of the global changes that are created or enabled by a smarter planet and effecting all organizations On the opportunity side, a smarter planet opens up new markets and growth in emerging markets for all of us. It enables new business models (SAAS, self-publishing, business process out sourcing are just a few examples Along with the opportunities come risks. The risk of global competition for existing and new customers. There is also the risk of smarter customers who can find more information and more vendors easily. Loyalty will become harder and harder to maintain These global business changes have created three imperatives for business success.
I use the word Imperative because these are not just good ideas. Unfortunately, these changes coincide with the turbulent, economic changes we have seen around the world in the last six months. Economist are saying that growth is going to be harder to achieve, competition will increase and some organizations will not survive To mitigate that risk, firms will need to work smarter by increasing efficiency using existing resources and people Organizations will need better insight into their markets and customers so they can be agile and react to changing conditions and demands Businesses will need a sustainable competitive advantage that comes from innovation driven by stronger customer communities and relationships So now let start talking about how IBM's social software can help you today to meet those imperatives
The core services available today in Lotus Connections help you meet the business imperatives needed to succeed. Profiles helps you work smarter by allowing you to find the experts you need. Your new hires can works smarter by learning from existing communities Your employees can gain insight from research shared by others through Dogear. Your subject matter experts can share their insights and get feedback across the organization through blogs And companies can gain a sustainable advantage from the innovation that occurs when employees work together in Activities or new product/service ideas are shared in customer communities
We ran a beta program to work with customer and partners to gain their feedback on Lotus Connections 2.5. During the beta program these are just a few of the comments that we heard about Connections
We also asked our beta participants to “ Describe the most valuable features of Lotus Connections 2.5.” These are a few of their answers.
This release is focused on a variety of features and capabilities we heard from our user base and customers loud and clear! Here is the high level look at Lotus Connections Next. First, we are adding in our own, out of the box wiki service. We're also making communities totally customizable, themable, and widgetized! Our home page has turned into a Connections feed central, showing you news from your network, your subscriptions, and more. Profiles have become places to socialize, with twitter like status messages and comments and conversations. Plus, we have even more mobile support for all you iPhone users and mobile browsers! Finally, when it comes to social software, you said faster and easier installs and more information to let you know how these tools are being adopted. Ok, let's start with the wiki -
**NOTE: This is an automated slide** T he Wiki service is a new service we are introducing as part of Lotus Connections. Wikis are a great way to enable multiple users to collaboratively author web content in an easy to use environment. Everyone who has access to a wiki can author, edit, or view content depending on role. As many people may be editing a single page, the wiki has automatic versioning and a &quot;recent changes&quot; view where users can be informed of recent edits and visualize changes. The wiki supports the ability to create tables, images, documents and more. The wiki can be used as a stand alone service or part of a community. As you cann see in the picture (with green hands community card) that this wiki is part of a community and you can use the Community Card to link back to the community. As user receives notifcations as updats are made to the wiki keeping theminformed of updates and changes. Another way to track changes is by using the version tracking availble in the wiki. You can select to versions of the document to track what changes have occured. Now lets take a look at the other new service from Lotus Connections - Files.
**NOTE: This is an automated slide** The Files service is a new service we are introducing as part of Lotus Connections. Files is designed to enable an individual with a fast and easy way to share their content with others by uploading presentations, documents, videos, or any type of file into their own file sharing library. They can then keep their files private, semi-private or public. By utilizing social software features such tagging, ratings, recommendations, combined with version comments, it provides an effective way to share content and for others to discover published content. Instead of sending file attachments via email, they can send links to their content ensuring readers always have the latest version. Files also provide individuals a central location to organize their files which make it easy to locate for future use. In the Files service you can easly see comments, ratings and the number of people that have downloaded a shared file. Files can be a stand alone service or intergrated into a community
**NOTE: This is an automated slide** The Communities service within Lotus Connections brings together people with common interests. Communities help people who share these common interests to easily collaborate by exchanging and sharing information and interacting with one another. As a member of a community, you can view bookmarked information, connect with other members, subscribe to feeds to keep up to date with the latest information, and participate in or start a discussion. Users can also leverage the other Lotus Connections services directly within the Communities environment, enabling them to quickly share files, start a Blog, or create an Activity to name a few. Whether you are sharing content on like interests, forming a project team, researching an emerging technology, or looking for people, a Community is a great way to reach out, get organized, and start sharing information from inside your organization as well as critical information that resides outside of your company. Communities are integrated with other Lotus Connections services. The owner has the ability to pick and choose which services they would like to utilize in their community. The Coomunity card will appear in the other service to provide a quick link back to the community. Now lets take a look at how we can customize a Community.
**NOTE: This is an automated slide** Now a Community owner can change the theme of the Community giving it a different look and feel. These customization can be with the templates provided out of the box or a company can create custom templates for employees to utilize. The Community owner can also decide which services to integrate and can simply drag and drop to organize them in a particular order in the Community
Members can post new topics and start a discussion for each topic. Discussion Forum content can include images, links, and rich text. Discussion Forums have an improved interface that allows a user to visually follow a discussion thread. A user can also select Pin this Topic in order to keep a particular topic on top of the list of Discussion Forums.
**NOTE: This is an automated slide** The Activities service within Lotus Connections enables an individual to 'instantly' define a set of tasks needed to be performed by an ad-hoc team to meet a stated goal and assign ownership and due dates for these tactical actions involving one or more individuals. An Activity is created by an individual for the purpose of communicating and collaborating with others in order to achieve a common goal. Activities allow users to work together in a common area rather than complete work in several disparate and disconnected tools. Within an Activity information can be shared, such as meeting agenda's, project plans, action items, files and many more. Activities can be used to organize a team or an individuals work. Activities provide users the ability to save reusable Activity patterns as templates, and it allows for users to create an Activity from a template. There are out of box templates provided and also templates that have been created and shared by users. Now we can have an Activity as part of a Community. We have also enhanced the ability to send notifications and filtering the users to send the notificatopns or e-mails too. Now lets take a look at the Homepage
**NOTE: This is an automated slide** The Home Page within Lotus Connections is a unique service that is designed to bring all the other services together in a single aggregated view. The Home Page provides a view of updates and notifications from across your network. For instance, updates could be from people in your network, people you want to watch or tags you’ve identified that are of interest to you. This information stream makes it much easier to stay abreast on Community updates, File uploads, Profile changes, and much more.
**NOTE: This is an automated slide** The watchlist provides a consolidated view of the people the user has decided to watch. You can choose to watch anyone in your network. The watchlist view provides an aggregated view of updates from people or tags on your watchlist.
**NOTE: This is an automated slide** Advanced search let you target your search results by selecting only the features that interest you.
**NOTE: This is an automated slide** The Profiles service within Lotus Connections is a directory of the people in your organization as well as information you need to form and encourage effective networks. In addition to the basic information you would find on a Profiles business card, Profiles catalogs skills such as technical or business expertise, past experience, and areas of interest. This service allows you to define yourself and for others to understand more about you through the reporting structure view, tags describing you, your network of colleagues, your recent status updates, recent data contributions and even through the picture you share on your Profile page. Profiles can help you reach out to people and build up a collaborative network of connected people. You can search this service in many ways and by different criteria, including location, experience, interest and more. Profiles are an integral part of social networking and we find it is the service many organizations begin with. Lets take a look at some of the updates on the My Profile page (start clicks)
T he Bookmarks service within Lotus Connections allows users to save, organize, maintain and store bookmarks in a central location that allows them to access their bookmarks from multiple computers. Bookmarks can also be shared, enabling people to discover information based on what others have found most useful, what others are frequently bookmarking, and what tags are being used. Companies today realize the need for social bookmarking in their organizations because it enables teams of people to easily share information in real-time and provides them with the ability to organize information both inside and outside the organization. Bookmarks not only allow you to discover where people get their information but saves time eliminating the need for you to locate the same information. You can go straight to information that a user has already vetted and found appropriate and useful.
The Blogs service within Lotus Connections is a corporate blogging system where individuals can share their unique perspectives and expertise, solicit feedback and share information. Blogs can be owned or maintained by an individual or a group, with regular entries which can contain text, images, links, or even video. In the business landscape, blogs tend to provide commentary or disseminate information among disperse groups of people, encouraging conversation across silos, geographies, and roles.
The latest and greatest intellectual capital can be discovered and shared Identify SME’s and their content instantly
Two years ago, IBM took a leadership role by announcing our entry into enterprise ready social software market with Lotus Connections and Lotus Quickr. By enterprise-ready, we mean social software meets the security, scalability and reliability required by organizations of all sizes. Our strategy was pretty simple. Deliver a rich set of social software services that maximize the value of social data and provide maximum deployment flexibility. The services can be deployed independently or together to deliver linked value. The services can be access via a web browser, mail client, portal, mobile device or imbedded in a business application They can be deployed using multiple operating system, databases and directories This has allowed 1000's of our customers to obtain quick value from social software even thought their starting points, objectives and infrastructures are different For example, some start using all the services for a small group while others might deploy a single service across the organization.
Download these extensions from the IBM Lotus Business Solutions Catalog http://www.ibm.com/software/brandcatalog/portal/lotusconnections
Now we’ll look at how Lotus Connections can be extended and used in Microsoft tools
1. IBM Lotus Connections 2.5
2. Agenda <ul><li>Market Trends </li></ul><ul><li>Success with Social Software </li></ul><ul><li>Lotus Connections 2.5 </li></ul><ul><li>Lotus Connections Extensions </li></ul><ul><li>Resources </li></ul><ul><li>Q&A / Discussion </li></ul>
3. Market Trends
4. Global Market Changes Effecting all Businesses <ul><li>Emerging economies and opportunity growth </li></ul><ul><li>New business models </li></ul><ul><li>Global competition and changing cost structures </li></ul><ul><li>New customer demands and eroding customer loyalty </li></ul>We Need a Smarter Workforce
5. New Imperatives for Business Success I NEED TO WORK SMARTER I NEED MORE INSIGHT I NEED AN ADVANTAGE Need to increase efficiency and effectiveness of business processes using existing resources and people to enhance productivity. SMART WORK AGILITY INNOVATION Organizations must tap into the intellectual capital of the entire value chain, correlating insights and anticipating opportunities and threats . Create a competitive advantage that is sustainable in today's business dynamic climate by leveraging innovation across your value chain and creating strong relationships
6. How Lotus Connections Meets Today's Business Imperatives SMART WORK AGILITY INNOVATION Profiles allows you to find the existing expertise you need Best practices can be shared using Activities templates New hires contribute quickly as they learn from Communities Personal file sharing avoids bad decisions based on old information Discover trends and research via Bookmarks Blogs provides subject matter experts and teams a way to share industry insight Quickly create new content with Wikis Get breaking news from the homepage Speed time to market by applying the best resource and execution via Activities Access the power of your professional network from applications you already use Virtual focus groups via customer Communities I NEED TO WORK SMARTER I NEED MORE INSIGHT I NEED AN ADVANTAGE
7. Lotus Connections 2.5
8. Social Networking…… "It will eventually be seen as essential to all large firms, encouraging more open and transparent communications with staff around the world, and helping to improve relations with existing and potential customers." Nikos Drakos, Research Director at Gartner , July 2008 “ Study encourages businesses to embrace social networking” www.computing.co.uk/computing/news/2221395/study-encourages-businesses "IBM Lotus Connections marked an early entry into enterprise social tools, and that has helped keep the IBM Lotus offering at the head of the pack in functionality. IBM’s modular approach will allow it to continue to introduce new functionality aggressively." The Forrester Wave ™: Collaboration Platforms, Q3 2009, Forrester Research, Inc., August 6, 2009.
9. Beta Customer Quotes for Lotus Connections 2.5 “ Lotus Connections allows employees to easily communicate, cooperate, collaborate and connect to and with each other. It's invaluable for our organisation” - e-office “ Every company should have this!” “ Connections 2.5 is a very strong release of Connections with social networking features that are desired in the marketplace. As an IBM Business Partner we are very excited to take this product to market. We have been providing many customer demo's of Connections 2.5 and have received alot of positive feedback from our customers.” - Ascendent Technology “ 2.5 is a big improvement over previous versions and the new functionality has exceeded expectations of what users were asking for.” - Cardiff University “ Lotus Connections allows your organization to leverage first class social collaboration tools in a secure manner” - Softchoice “ Installation is easy and there are many functions.”
10. Most Valuable Feature Awards go to... Source: Beta participants answers to “Describe the most valuable features of Lotus Connections 2.5.” <ul><ul><li>“ Love the new features across the board - status updates, customisable communities, dedicated search and new mobile access . A great job on the new functionality.” </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>“ The new homepage showing the updates is a great tool to stay up to date! ” </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>“ The River of News , Files, and Wikis will take Connections to the level of a true collaboration suite . </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>“ The communities, homepage news, and files were great updates and additions that will provide the most value to our users. </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>“ Home , Profiles, Blogs, Files and Wikis are THE most used features on the web that MUST be available on a socializing platform.” </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>“ Great way to share information across departments and business units, very addictive .” </li></ul></ul>
11. What's New with Lotus Connections 2.5 <ul><li>Enhanced customer communities to elevate relationships and revenue </li></ul><ul><ul><li>New Services - Wiki and Files Capabilities </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Improved Community Experience </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>New Micro-blogging feature </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>New Updates Homepage </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Mobile Support </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Integration to enhance social software experience </li></ul><ul><li>Advanced Profiles functionality to promote social interaction and adoption </li></ul><ul><li>New ways to extend Lotus Connections </li></ul>Blogs Communities Bookmarks Activities Profiles Homepage Wikis Files
12. Wikis Wiki Collaborative Editing <ul><li>Rich navigation and tagging making it easy to find information </li></ul><ul><li>Supports tables, images, document uploads, tags and more </li></ul><ul><li>Stand-alone service or integrated with a community </li></ul><ul><li>Jointly create and edit web content using rich text editor </li></ul><ul><li>Notifications of new content, versions and pages </li></ul><ul><li>Version tracking </li></ul>
13. <ul><li>Post your key files and easily share them </li></ul><ul><li>Organize and tag files so they can be found quickly by you and others </li></ul><ul><li>Social data such as ratings, downloads, comments, etc. </li></ul><ul><li>Filtering information </li></ul><ul><li>Integration with Communities </li></ul>Files Files
14. <ul><li>Reach out to communities of customers, partners and employees </li></ul><ul><li>Gives you a variety of tools to reflect your goals and needs </li></ul><ul><li>Work more effectively in your customized communities </li></ul><ul><li>Ability to join, leave or mail a community </li></ul><ul><li>Integration with other Lotus Connections services </li></ul><ul><li>Easy link back from other Lotus Connections services to a Community through the Community Card </li></ul>Communities Community Page
15. <ul><li>Personalize the look and feel of your community, including theme templates </li></ul><ul><li>Choose tools that are appropriate for your community's collaboration needs, all scoped to your community. </li></ul><ul><ul><li>One place to go to for access to: Activities, Blogs, Forum, Wikis, Files, Bookmarks and Feeds </li></ul></ul>Communities Community Page Customization
16. <ul><li>Brand new redesign of the forum surfaces relevant statistics and popular discussions </li></ul><ul><li>Easily receive notifications on a particular topic </li></ul><ul><li>Ability to Pin this Topic so it will remain as a priority discussion topic </li></ul>Communities Discussion Forum
17. <ul><li>Integration with Communities and automatic access control </li></ul><ul><li>Link back to Community with Community Card </li></ul><ul><li>E-mail notifications and filtering </li></ul>Activities Activities
18. <ul><li>Home Page Updates </li></ul><ul><li>Updates tab provides the latest information for all the Lotus Connections features </li></ul><ul><li>Filter news based on your network </li></ul><ul><li>Micro-blogging </li></ul><ul><li>Discover tab allows you to see what others are doing in your network </li></ul>Home
19. Home Home Page Watchlist <ul><li>Updates sent directly to your Home page </li></ul><ul><li>Micro-blogging </li></ul><ul><li>Watchlist tab provides updates on people and tags that you are following </li></ul>
20. <ul><li>Search across all the Lotus Connections services and retrieve the results in one consolidated view </li></ul><ul><li>Search results based on social data and relationships </li></ul><ul><li>Filter advanced search based on features that interest you </li></ul>Home Search
21. Profiles My Profile <ul><li>Update your profile with your current personal status and notify your network </li></ul><ul><li>Easy access to Contact Information and About Me </li></ul><ul><li>Post messages to people in your network </li></ul><ul><li>Find people by clicking on the cross-organization tag cloud </li></ul><ul><li>Tap into people's expertise without interrupting them </li></ul><ul><li>Report to chain </li></ul>
22. Profiles Profile Home Page <ul><li>Update your profile with your current personal status and notify your network </li></ul><ul><li>Add comments to others status here or respond to comments </li></ul><ul><li>Access to Organizational tags for fast and easy ways to search profiles by using tags </li></ul><ul><li>Easily search for other people in your organization </li></ul>
23. <ul><li>Formerly known as Dogear </li></ul><ul><li>Store bookmarks in a central location </li></ul><ul><li>Easily publish some or all your Bookmarks so that others can see your collection of content </li></ul><ul><li>Community bookmarks provide all members of the Community access to recommended bookmarks </li></ul>Bookmarks Bookmarks
24. <ul><li>Easily rate blogs </li></ul><ul><li>Enhance blogs with the file upload utility in order to add graphics, podcasts, or various other files. </li></ul><ul><li>All members of a Community automatically have access to a Community blog </li></ul><ul><li>Link back from the Community Blog to the Community with the Community Card </li></ul>Blogs Blogs
25. <ul><li>Delivering services and functions that you want while mobile </li></ul><ul><li>Built-in to Lotus Connections server </li></ul><ul><li>Mobile web client, designed for mobile browser </li></ul><ul><li>iPhone and Nokia S60 device support </li></ul>Mobile Support Mobile
26. Lotus Connections 2.5 Extensions
27. Extending Lotus Connections <ul><li>Delivering the most complete set of social software services enabling rich integration with IBM products and other solutions </li></ul>PEOPLE PLACES CONTENT
28. Extending your Social Network with IBM products <ul><li>IBM Lotus Notes </li></ul><ul><li>Activities sidebar </li></ul><ul><li>Business Card </li></ul><ul><li>Bookmarks </li></ul><ul><li>Search </li></ul><ul><li>IBM Lotus Sametime </li></ul><ul><li>Post chat to an Activity </li></ul><ul><li>Post chat to Community Forum </li></ul><ul><li>Business Card </li></ul><ul><li>IBM Lotus Quickr </li></ul><ul><li>Add page to Activity </li></ul><ul><li>Publish to Quickr </li></ul><ul><li>Community Wiki </li></ul><ul><li>IBM WebSphere Portal </li></ul><ul><li>Portlet integration with services into pages and sites </li></ul><ul><li>Service Portlets </li></ul>Home page Communities Blogs Bookmarks Activities Profiles Wikis Files
29. Extending your Social Network with other applications <ul><li>Microsoft Office </li></ul><ul><li>Upload Files to Activities </li></ul><ul><li>Search Profiles </li></ul><ul><li>Add to your blog </li></ul><ul><li>Create Activity ToDos </li></ul>Home page <ul><li>Microsoft Outlook </li></ul><ul><li>Business Card </li></ul><ul><li>Search services </li></ul><ul><li>Microsoft SharePoint </li></ul><ul><li>Business Card </li></ul><ul><li>Profiles Search </li></ul><ul><li>Tag cloud web part </li></ul><ul><li>SuccessFactors </li></ul><ul><li>Exchange Profile data </li></ul><ul><li>Business Card </li></ul>Communities Blogs Bookmarks Activities Profiles Wikis Files
30. Summary <ul><li>A flatter, smarter and smaller world creates new challenges </li></ul><ul><ul><li>A need to work smarter </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>A need for more insight </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>A need for advantage </li></ul></ul><ul><li>IBM is one of the leaders in Social Software for business and delivers capability today to help meet those challenges </li></ul><ul><li>New innovations will extend IBM's leadership </li></ul><ul><ul><li>More dynamic profiles allow employees to work smart and faster </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>New Wiki and file sharing add powerful collaboration capabilities </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Richer, interactive communities to drive innovation from customers </li></ul></ul>
31. Resources Latest product info, research, podcasts, and more http:/www.ibm.com/lotus/connections Developer Works http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/lotus/products/connections/ Product documentation http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/lotus/documentation/connections/ Synch.rono.us blog – keep up to date on Social Software activities @ IBM! http://synch.rono.us/ Lotus Greenhouse – experience the software ‘live’ https://greenhouse.lotus.com/home/login.jsp