1. Managing Social MediaChannels For Your Business Nisha Chittal November 14, 2011 Crush IQ, Washington DC @NishaChittal
2. Who am I?A little about me… A little about Travel Channel…• Social Media Manager at • World’s leading travel media brand Travel Channel • 8 Facebook pages• Working on social media • 6 Twitter handles strategy for brands for the • Over 5 million Facebook fans last 4+ years • Over 1 million Twitter followers • YouTube, Tumblr, Foursquare, Instagram, Pinterest • Some of our shows: No Reservations, Bizarre Foods, Man v Food Nation, Off Limits
3. What is your goal in social media? Your goal might be… • Drive sales • Drive ratings • Just drive awareness • Drive actions (sign petitions, donate money, register for an event) Your goal should NOT be: getting a million fans.
4. Your primary goal in social media should beto build a community of people passionateabout your brand. Your business goals are second.
5. Listen before you talk • Hootsuite or Tweetdeck to monitor daily brand mentions and publish updates – Set up columns for hashtags & relevant Twitter lists • Sysomos or Radian6 to capture broader discussion across the web about your brand
6. Establish your playbook. Put it in writing. What platforms will you engage on? How often will you post on each platform? Twice a week ? Twice a day? What do you want your “voice” to be? What is your response/comment policy? What types of content? Video? Photo? Polls?
7. Get the basics set up • Allocate resources – Not just your intern, or your CEO’s kid • Page Descriptions • Comment Policies • Landing Tabs • Fresh Content • Promotion (TV, website, email, print materials) See Hubspot’s “Anatomy of A Successful Facebook Page”
8. You’ve got fans – now keep them engaged• Content that adds value• Regular Features / Traditions• Invite users to participate• Exclusive content• Access to talent/experts
9. With every post, ask yourself:Is this interesting, entertaining, orsomehow providing value topeople? Two secrets to boosting interactions: Clear call to action (like, comment, share) Rich media (link, photo, video) More interactions ↔ More impressions
10. Remember to be human… At the end of the day, social media is still just that: people talking to people.