TODAY WE WILL LOOK AT…
1. Marketing Research = defining the problem
2. Advertising Campaign = seeking insight
3. Creative Strategy = choosing the best solution
ü Creative Strategy or the Central ldea
ü Media Strategy
4. Prototyping = communicating the solution
5. Production = implementing the solution
Creative strategy is an outline and the
tone of the message to be
communicated by an advertising
§ It is the first step in developing the advertising campaign plan that
specifies the purpose of the advertising campaign, the problem to be
solved and the expected action.
§ The creative strategy must be very precise in terms of why the
product or the service needs advertising (= Problem Statement) and
what the advertising campaign will achieve (= Design Solution).
§ It clearly articulates how the product or service will be presented to
customers and positioned versus competitors.
• It requires making difficult choices and excluding options that are
logical, plausible and attractive.
Some possible goals of a creative strategy are:
ü To increase awareness of your product/service.
ü To attract new customers.
ü To increase the loyalty of existing customers.
ü To offer a deal or discount.
ü To generate immediate sales or sales leads.
While deciding the creative strategy keep "AIDA" in mind:
ü attract Attention
ü hold Interest
ü arouse Desire
ü motivate Action
Include the following in assessment task 1 PART 1 :
(in the central idea section):
– Develop the Creative Strategy
– Explain it logically and rationally
– Describe the AIDA
– Mention the expected outcomes of this strategy
…IN ASSESSMENT TASK 1
• Media strategy is a plan for bringing advertising
messages to the attention of the target audience
through the use of an appropriate media.
• Although there is a wide range of media channels
intended to reach a large audience, there is
definite inherent strengths and weaknesses
associated with each medium.
• One must choose the type of media that best suits
the target audience and message.
• Print advertising is a form of advertising that uses physically printed
media to reach the audience. Thus the most important benefit of
print media is tangibility.
• Print is available in both large and small numbers, can be accessed
easily and is engaging, versatile and creative. The lack of
distractions when reading print versus on the web allows the reader
to be fully engrossed with the print article.
• Print media is unique in its capability to trigger a number of senses
like the texture of the paper, the smell of the ink, the color of the
paper and its play with light etc. Print can be even made interactive
by using clever tricks!
THE PRINT MEDIA
Why advertise lamps when you can give people an ad that transforms into a
lamp? The print ads act like a pop-up book, allowing people to create their own
lamp shape by mounting the paper in a corner.
…FOR REACH AND RELIABILITY
…FOR ENGAGEMENT AND FOCUS
Ogilvy & Mather once again prove themselves as print advertisement masters with this
clever approach to allergy medicine. Using simple yet effective colors and simple
illustrations means that this is an ad that pops from the page.
…FOR THE SENSORY EXPERIENCE
Direct mail enters an individual’s home and is consumed on a one-to-one basis.
Air Force FM Award: Graphite Pencil / Direct / Direct Mail / 2014
…FOR THE MASS APPEAL
United Nations 60th Anniversary | Award: Gold | Design Firm: Milani Design | Client: United Nations
Write a research report that includes the following:
– Key features of brand/product/service/market segment
– Target audience/purchasing characteristics
– Competitors - present and future
– The Central Idea (The Creative Strategy)
– Media strategy for PRINT Advertising
– Time schedule for PRINT Advertising
– Budget requirements for PRINT Advertising
– Legal/ethical constraints
ASSESSMENT TASK 1 PART 1
Create THREE (3) PRINT advertisements incorporating
design principles and clearly communicating concept for:
1. Newspaper Advertisement:
4 columns x 10 cms / 4 color offset
2. Magazine Advertisement:
A4 / Full page / 4 color offset
3. Billboard Advertisement:
10 ft. x 6.6 ft. scaled down to 25% / 4 color offset
ASSESSMENT TASK 1 PART 2