FM2 Producers and Audiences
Audiences – Cinemas and cinemagoing work sheet: WW2 and Beyond
Ton answer the questions set, access the web page below and click on the
Answer the following questions in the spaces between the questions
1. What was the peak figure for UK cinema attendance and what year did
2. What are the reasons given for the ‘slow decline’ in UK cinema
3. What impact did the spread of ITV mean for cinema admissions and
4. What has happened to cinema buildings?
5. How many cinema screens were there in 1947 and what was the
number in 1965?
6. What technological innovations were introduced in an attempt to get
people coming back to cinemas?
7. By the mid 60s, how many viable cinema chains were there in the UK?
8. Why were cinemas closing?
Audiences – Cinemas and cinemagoing work sheet: More screens, more
1. What changes occurred to cinemas in the 1970s?
2. What did subdivisions enable cinemas to do?
3. What were the two major sources of cinema income?
4. Why did admissions decline?
5. What was the figure for cinema admissions in 1984?
6. Where was the first UK multiplex built and when?
7. Where were multiplexes being built generally?
8. Who has built multiplexes and what have they tended to show?
9. What legal changes further hurt city centre cinemas?
10. What are the advantages of multiplexes over traditional cinemas?
11. What changes have occurred in the exhibition policies of multiplexes?
As technology evolves, will people still go to the cinema?