Unsa man imong problem bai,
Paki-explain nga kung may time?
Ay, ambot !
1545 – 1563 The council was made to
address Protestant despites Main
objective was to condemn Protestant
doctrine and define church doctrine
1. The Church’s interpretation of the Bible was
final Anyone who substituted their own
interpretation was a heretic.
2. Salvation by faith and works was defined
3. Decrees were issued for church practices such
as indulgences Decree is a law Abuse of
indulgences were no longer allowed
The Jesuits ventured into its
Mission to do counter-reformation
Through their zealousness in
Spreading the Gospel and by
Becoming living witness of Christ
Love to others.
Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius
Zealousness - Mission
Faithfulness to the Christ
Founded in 1534, the Society of Jesus or the
Jesuits, formed the backbone of the Catholic
or Counter Reformation. The Jesuits combined
the ideas of traditional monastic discipline
with a dedication to teaching and preaching.
Why they did this is pretty clear -- they wanted
to win back converts. As a brotherhood or
society, the Jesuits sought to bypass local
corruption and appealed to the papacy to
leading international movement -- they would
not attach themselves to local bishops or local
authorities. The purpose of this international
movement was to revive a Catholic or universal
What can we learn from
The legend of Korra –Book 2?
"Everything Unalaq taught me was to
help himself. Everything you've done
was meant to help me."
The Church must be faithful to the Magisterium (Official
teachings of the Church but must
Be renewed to be faithful to its mission and be a living witness
Of Christ love…Who came not to be served but to serve.
Was the Counter-Reformation necessary?
1. To strengthen the doctrine and the teachings of the Catholic Church
2. To defend the Church (not the misbehaviors and abuses) but the magisterium
and its doctrines
3. To stop the spread of Protestantism
4. To bring the Gospel to more people especially in new lands and territories
5. To renew the mission of the Church.
6. RE-ENERGIZE THE CHURCH