Traditional media challenges..
• 78% of consumers trust peer recommendations, only 14% trust ads
• Only 18% of TV campaigns generate a positive ROI
• 90% of people that can skip TV ads, do.
Social media challenges..
• Over 20 hours of video content is uploaded toYou Tube every minute.
• YouTube alone now receives 1 billion views a day
• 325m users of Facebook, 500k new sign ups every day
• Users are too fluid to lock down to single touch points
• You can’t control what people are saying about you (only organise it)
• Sell tourism in a new and original way beyond banners, posters and TV ads.
• Agency created "The Best Job in the World" – a position that sounds too good to be
• Look after a deserted Island for several months and get paid!
• 35,000 videos created in 197 countries
• During campaign the site was receiving 6M unique visits per month
• Substantial news coverage across shortlisted countries (50) - BBC ran an hour
documentary on the final.
• Media coverage estimated at over $100 million from a campaign budget of $1.2
• And the agency estimates the campaign has reached 5 billion people through
• Agency: Cummins Nitro
Fiesta Movement case study
• No media spend.....
• Ford targetsYouTube generation with Fiesta launch
• Engage popular digital story tellers to market your product
• 6 month online campaign only
• Covered extensively by “offline” media
• Different themes; travel, technology, style and design, social activism, adventure and
• The story tellers broadcast regular updates viaYou Tube, blogs andTwitter.
• 4.3 millionYouTube views thus far from 1000+ videos created by
• 500,000+ Flickr views from 13,000 photos created
• 3 million+ Twitter impression
• 600+ Blogs posted content
• 37% of GenY audience were aware of the Fiesta before its launch
• 50,000 interested potential customers, 97% of which don’t own a Ford.
• Burger King launches a Facebook application, encourages
users to remove Facebook friends.
• Delete ten friends from profile and get a free Whopper.
• 230k friends were removed by 83k people in less than a week.A great
example of real engagement from users....
• Facebook shuts it down, citing privacy issues..
• Estimate investment; $50,000
• Estimated return: $400,000 (press/media value)
Agency: Crispin Porter
• Keep your objective simple and plain
• Be blunt, don’t over crowd your message
• Use viral video as a conversation starter
• What does the press release look like?
Tips for successful viral campaigns