Rainbow Play Structure by ﬂickr user PittCaleb
a) You have designed a plan for the play structure below:
• each level has 4 walls
• the bottom level has no ﬂoor
• the top level has no roof
Make a list of the pieces you will
need for the bottom and top levels.
Determine the total cost of this
structure, not including taxes.
Show your work.
Bottom Level Top Level
b) Your neighbour would like you to design a larger play structure
that meets the
• The structure must have 2 levels.
• The structure must ﬁt in a space that measures 12 feet long and 4
feet wide (not including ladders or slides).
• Each of the 6 pieces indicated must be used at least once.
• The top level may or may not have a roof.
Draw a three-dimensional sketch of your structure.
c) Play structure guidelines recommend a volume of 14.5 cubic
feet for each child. Using these guidelines, determine the
maximum number of children that can safely be inside your
structure in (b) at one time. Do not consider wall thickness in your
Show your work, including the volume of your tunnel or tunnels.
d) Indicate one safety concern that could arise from the design of your