Symposium case 1 A. Ori, experience from japan containers&packaging recycling law
The Basic Environment Law
Waste Management and Public Cleansing Law
Law for Promotion of Effective Utilization of Resources
Appliance Recycling Law
Law on Promoting Green Purchasing
Small Home Appliance
The Basic Law for Establishing the
Recycling – based Society
(basic framework law)
Japanese Recycling Law
Distinguished Features of C&P
Waste （ｃｃ ELV,WEEE）
1. Short Life of Products(ELV 20ys, WEEE 10ys)
2. Simple design, limited influence on DfE
3. Compare to Industrial waste, less Volume
4. Many Stakeholders(Bottle Makers, Containers,
Disutributors, Recyclers, etc)
1. very close relation with citizen’s dairly life.
The Background of C&P Law
① Lack of waste disposal sites
② Increasing ration of C&P Waste in
Non C&P Wastes
Non C&P Waste
Japanese System : Stakeholders Co-operation
Reducion of C&P Waste
Sorted collection of
The Characteristics of Japanese C&P
1. Collecting household waste (not including office
waste)⇒High quality sorting
2. Municipality Voluntary Participation System（Each
municipality need to decide whetheｒ to make plan or
3. Range covered is wide⇒All the C&P Waste is
4. Recycle Marks are sealed 8 materials.But the
collecting system differes depending on
Background of Japanese EPR style
1. Long History of Citizen’s sorting and collecting
household waste system, co-operating with
2. ⇒Successful recycling system
3. ⇒How Business entity could co-operate to this
4. ⇒Japanese EPR(so called Partial EPR System)
5. Sorting high quality materials,Co-operating system
with those involved.
Outcome of Japanese System
1. Business entity’s effort to make lighter weight and
2. Increasing the amount of recycling.
3. Increasing participation of municipalities and having
successful municipality collection system led to gain
the community power,also high quality materials.
1. Increasing recycle , not reducing. Need to change
the behavior. But How?
2. Increasing recycle but not cost efficiency, high cost
3. Because of high quality recycled material,items are
exported to foreign countries.
4. A gap exists among stakeholders.
Toward a Future
Limited capacity in DfE, so what is Next?
⇒Need to change the behavior by information sharing
Who could give the information which could lead
environmental friendly purchasing ?
Who could give the forum for communication?
Who could change the behavior?
What should be Consider?
How to strengthen partnership!
Shared responsibility needs Common Goal!
(EPR is policy tool not the goal itself)
Talking about recycle efficiency ,with citizen’s work-
load. Citizens also need incentive. What?
⇒Visualice the outcome of their acts.
For More Effective Recycle
Business Entities approach to Citizen
Questions from Citizens
Is Plastic Mark equal to Recycle Mark?
Why could’nt we discard toys with the
Why could’nt we discard cleaning bag?
Why is garbage collection system different in each
How much we should clean the dirty?
Why do we have to take off the bottle Cap?
Reason for not acting environmental friendly
Green market + Study Group
•To state clearly that an EPR policy
cannot be designed appropriately by
considering producers’ roles and
•Information provision and informative
producer responsibility plays a key role,
How to Change the Consumer’s behavior?
From Consumer to Sustainability Citizen
Consumption :The act of using energy, food or materials
Consumer :A person who buys goods or uses services
21Sharing Information is the Key for the Partnership