• Mineral exploration is the
process of finding ore to
mine. It is an
intensive, organized and
professional form of mineral
An exploration drill.
• Area selection is the most
crucial part of mineral
exploration. Selecting the most
suitable area, geological field
and terrain will assist in making
the exploration easy, cheap
Iron ore deposit. This is an example of
a suitable area for exploration.
• Geophysics uses physical methods to measure the
surface properties of the Earth.
Examples include geodesy, magnetic and electrical
• This term generally refers to the use of aerial sensor
technologies to detect and classify objects on Earth.
Today, satellites are widely used to take snapshots of
the area around the deposit in question.
• In mining
try is used to identify
the anomaly that is
found within the area
of the mineral deposit.
Two computer generated views of Agnico eagle’s
Suurinkuusiku gold mining project showing both
surface and underground mining.
The prices of minerals and exchange rates are constantly
Poor access to exploration areas as a result of remoteness or
Poor weather conditions over a prolonged period which
might negatively affect exploration activities and the timing of
GREENFIELDS AND BROWNFIELDS
• The area a mining exploration is being coducted is termed
either a greenfield or a brownfield.
A greenfield generally means an unspoilt area.
A brownfield is an area that was already drilled or explored upon.
It is almost always located nearby a known ore deposit.
The ultimate goal of
mineral exploration is
the extraction, and
profitable sale of
• Prospect- search for mineral deposits
• Intensive- very thorough
• Crucial- of great importance
• Suitable- right for a particular purpose
• Field- an area of open land
• Terrain- a stretch of land seen in terms of it is physical features: rough terrain
• Assist- support to something
• Method- a way of doing something
• Measure- find out the size of something be comparing it with a standard
• Include- contain something as part of a whole
• Aerial- existing in the air
• Refer- describe something
• Satellite- an artificial object placed in orbit round the earth
• Snapshot- an informal photograph
• Prolonged- continuing for long time
• Infrastructure- the basic structures needed for a society to function
• Anomaly- something that differs from what is normal
• Due- needing to be paid
• Uncertainty- not reliable