If you can program it, then it’s a platform.
If you can’t, then it’s not.”
- Marc Andreessen
Online Platforms in ICT
It makes it easier for users to interact, to collect, and
use the data from the user’s interactions for their
own particular needs.
Online Platform Categories
• Social Media
• Search Engines
• Communication Services
• Payment Systems
• Advertising Platforms
• Creative Content Outlets
Web Search Engines
It is a software system that is designed to search for
information on the World Wide Web (WWW). The search
results are generally presented in a line of results referred
to as Search Engine Results Page (SERPs).
The information may be a mix of webpages, images,
and other types of files.
Top 10 Search Engines (2016)
2. Bing (Microsoft)
3. Yahoo (No. 1 email provider)
4. Ask.com (Ask Jeeves)
5. AOL.com (America Online)
6. Baidu (China)
7. Wolframalpha (Computational
8. DuckDuckGo (simple)
9. Internet Archive (histories of a
10. ChaCha.com (similar to Ask.com)
These are outsourced enterprise communications
solutions that can be leased from a single vendor or provider.
A Communications Service Provider (CSP) is a provider
that transports information electronically and can encompass
public and private companies in telecom, internet, cable,
satellite, and managed services business.
It is any system used to settle financial transactions
through transfer of monetary value, and includes the
institutions, instruments, people, rules, procedures,
standards, and technologies.
It allows users to create and manage advertising
campaigns, generate reports, and retrieve information
about the ads, campaigns, and organizations that are
associated with an account.
Creative Content Outlets
It is content that needs to be translated creatively.
Topic/concept Creative presentation it
1. Presentation Tools – Prezi, Zoho Shows, MS PowerPoint.
2. Newsletter, ICT Content Platforms – Dropbox, Tumblr, Wix
3. Photo Editing Tools – Picasa, Adobe Photoshop, GIMP
4. Video Editing Tools – Sony Vegas Pro, Windows Movie Maker,
Adobe Premier Pro
5. Photo uploading and hosting Tools – Dropbox, Flickr
6. Online Collaborative Tools – Google Drive, Viber, Facebook
7. Cloud Computing – Dropbox, Google Drive, Microsoft One
8. Blog Tools – Blogger, WordPress, LiveJournal
9. Mapping Tools – Google Maps, Waze, Wikimapia
10. Music Production – Sony Vegas Pro, Audacity, Virtual DJ
11. Survey and Forms – Google Forms
12. ICT Projects and Content Publishing and Uploading Platforms
– WordPress, MS Office Project Server, File Manager
13. Web Design Platforms – Wix, Weebly, Adobe Dreamweaver
14. Web Management Platforms – Drupal, WordPress, Joomla