• Types of Activities
• Seven types of wastes
• Waste of 3 Angle of Project delivery
• Integrated project
What do we Want on our project?
• Lower Costs
• Better Schedules
• Better Quality
• Improved Project Team Environment
Why do we need a different Approach?
• The construction industry has
fallen behind other industries
for productivity improvement.
• Lean target the Removal of
behaviors and activities that
contribute to Waste and loss of
• Lean construction brings the
needed methodologies and
culture for improvement.
What is lean Construction?
• Definition of lean:
• A production approach that preserve value and less waste
• “ To produce right product at the right time in the right quality for
the costumer and to produce exactly what you need and nothing
• Taiichi Ohno, creator of Toyota Production System.
• Lean Construction:
• A design and execution methodology to minimize Waste of
material and effort in order to generate the maximum value.
Seven types of waste
-Defects/Rework; scrap and fixing errors
-Overproduction; making more than just in case
-Over-Processing; Beyond what costumer need
-Inventory/Queue; Excessive work in process inventory
-Motion; unnecessary and awkward movement
-Waiting; Delay for upstream activity to complete
-Transport; unnecessary material movement
Lean Attacks Waste on 3 Angles
Integrated Project Delivery
Practical application of Lean Construction towards integrated project delivery
• less waste can greatly reduce all around costs
• Construction time can greatly be reduced by increased planning and
• Fewer accidents and a higher rate of safety through increased worker
focus and understanding.
• Increased schedule reliability and predictability.
• Improved overall results due to increased communication and fewer
• Decreased stress for workers and management due to fewer workers.
• Increased productivity all around due to a higher rate of planning.
• Increased profits and turnovers, with increased customer satisfaction.
• Increased worker accountability.
• Increased job satisfaction resulting in more performance commitment
• All areas of management, along with the workers, have to be in
accordance with the plan. If there is a break in the chain, the lean
methodology cannot work.
• Getting everyone onboard with a new production method isn’t easy, and
some people may be ambivalent about change.
• In order for successful implementation, management officials must be
able to guide employees directly and efficiently. In essence, the lean
method of operation is derived by how well a management official can
work with his employees more so than with the standard procedure, and
personality clashes, as well as other issues may arise.
• Training and educating employees in the lean method takes time and
dedication, and as expressed earlier, some workers may not like or deal
well with change.
• Staying on course with a new system of operation can be difficult for some
managers, and some may grow frustrated.
• Cohesive teamwork is essential for lean production. Each worker has to be
well versed in his position or a breakdown will occur as all workers rely on
• Training employees with a new system can take some time, and this could
decrease the overall time on a project or design.
• Management has to be astute to all production issues as a breakdown in
the system can easily occur. Staying alert to the change in operations can
be hard for all employees.
• Suppliers and distributors have to be notified of the change in production,
and this could cause problems.
• A temporary decrease in employee morale might be noticed due to the
change in policy.
1) Difficulties being faced by site engineers in communicating and integrating the vendors and
stakeholders of the project
2) identifying the key vendors and have continuous group discussion with them
3) Fire doors
1) Tower R
2) Tower M
3) Tower N
6) MEP team
7) False ceiling
8) Granite and stair case material
Why project is delayed?
Types of delays?
Types of issues
Clarity in data
lack of details
Engaging small contractor for large quantum of work
Making meetings with people whose mindset is small
These are the some of the types of waste which will inquired during the project.
In every project integrated project delivery is there then also we inquired above
wastes so to eliminate that lean approach is used.