Frank lloyd wright
Frank Lloyd Wright was a modern architect who
developed an organic and distinctly American
style. He designed numerous iconic buildings.
presentation by KIRTHIGA
His architectural career lasted almost 70 years.
Frank Lloyd Wright developed the theory "Form and
Function Are One.“
During his final years, he designed two of his most famous
projects, the Guggenheim Museum and the Marin County
Frank Lloyd Wright designed 1141 homes and buildings, of
those 532 were completed by his death.
Frank Lloyd Wright had a global impact on modern
architecture, influencing design styles not only in America,
but also in Europe and Asia.
Basic principles of wright designs :
Simple geometric shapes
Integration of building with
Strong horizontal lines and Frank Lloyd Wright Home
hidden entries and StudioOak Park,
(Edgar J. Kaufmann Sr. Residence),
Bear Run, Pennsylvania, 1935–1937
Frederick C. Robie Residence,
Chicago, Illinois, 1909
Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum,
New York City, 1956–1959
Oak Park, Illinois, 1904
Bartlesville, Oklahoma, 1952–1956
FALLING WATER, SOUTHWESTERN PENNSYLVANIA
The site chosen was a natural landscape area for the weak
end home with a water stream with it.
It was thought that the building would
have a view of stream but fl wright made
it over the stream.
Spaces are designed to bring nature inside the four walls
Cluster organisation around central core
Wright used only 4 materials to build Fallingwater
— sandstone, reinforcedconcrete, steel
Horizoantal element – concrete.
planes differentiated and accentuate by
changes in colour, texture, and material .
vertical element – native stone.
gives a sclupture quality highlighting
Interiors are simply through vibrant because of use of triadic
colours for furnitures and monochromatic brown colour for walls,
ceiling , floor
• Wright used a lot of clear glass to allow the outside to flow
freely into the inside.
• At certain times of day, the
glass becomes very reflective and
reminds some people of the
mirror-like surfaces of a calm
pool of water.
• At night, the glass seems to disappear.
• Wright chose the pale ochre color of the concrete to match the
back of a fallen rhododendron leaf.
GUGGENHEIM MUSEUM, new york , united states.
• Established in 1937
• Type Art museum
• Frank Lloyd Wright created the
Guggenheim Museum as a series of
• Circular forms spiral down like
the interior of a shell.
• Visitors to the museum begin on
the upper level and follow a sloping
ramp downward through connected
• The building itself became a work of art.
• At the core, an open rotunda offers views of artwork
on several levels.
• From the street, the building looks like a white ribbon
rolled into a cylindrical
shape, slightly wider at the
top than at the bottom.
• Internally, the galleries
form a spiral.
Its design was inspired by a
"Ziggurat" Babylonian temple
ROBIE HOUSE ,CHICAGO
• The Robie House of
1910 is generally
considered to be Wright’s
“best”Prairie style work.
• This style is characterized
by a dominating horizontal axis,
bandedwindows, and a spacious and open interior plan.
• The exterior is dominated by a lowhipped roof, simple
building materials (mainly brick, wood, and stucco)
Fl wright principle was followed
in this house:
strong horizontal lines
simple geometric shapes were followed in robie house glass
• The house was designed for Frederick C. Robie, a bicycle
manufacturer, who did not want a home done in the typical
• Robie desired a modern floorplan and needed a garage, and a
playroom for children.
• He also required
that his home be
retained an open floor
plan free of closed, box-like rooms that would prevent the
uniformity of decoration and design.
Unity temple , lake street , oak park, , united states
• In 1905, after the original
Unity Church burned down,
the Universalist congregation
of Oak Park, Illinois turned to
architect Frank Lloyd Wright to design them a new
• And finally, the architect was expected to design not
only the structure, but furniture and stained glass for
• Wright designed Unity Temple in Oak Park (1905) as
a place of worship for the Unitarian faith. This is his
original drawing of the building.
• As is consistent with the Unitarian faith, the
building is stately, solid, and devoid of religious
• the solid concrete
construction, as well as
the incorporation of other
typical Wright elements.
• Simple geometric
• Hidden entries
Meaning in architecture :
Falling water :
Repesent water, as it is placed above the falling water .
Robie house :
Represent Land . Constructed by wood, brick .
Guggenheim museum :
Represent social and culture . Since it is a museum , it
has art works that repesent culture .
Unity temple :
Represent Religion . Since it is a church .
AIA Gold Medal (1949)
Twenty-five year award
Royal Gold Medal (1941)
Famous quotes :
• The mother art is architecture. Without an architecture of our own we have no soul of
our own civilization.
• Form follows function - that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be
one, joined in a spiritual union.
• Nature is my manifestation of God. I go to nature every day for inspiration in the
day's work. I follow in building the principles which nature has used in its domain.