Sultan Qaboos University
College of Education
Department of Instructional & Learning Technologies
Submitted to: Dr. Alaa Sadik
Done by: Hanaa Saif Alzuhaibi(69635)
Abeer salim Al-maawali (82910)
Mobile learning is defines as:
• The achievement of any knowledge and skill through using mobile
technology, anywhere, anytime, that results in an alteration in
• The terms of education and training on mobile devices.
Objectives of using m-learning in DE:
• Improving communication and learning in DE
• Maintain and enhance contact with students and teachers
• Support and improve student retention
Technologies that support mobile learning:
Personal digital assistant (PDA) Ultra-Mobile PC
Smartphone tablet PC
• Enables learners to construct understandings
• M-learning is collaborative
• M-learning is engaging and fun
• Allows users to have access to the resources in different formats
(voice, text, picture and video)
• Allows the reuse of material
• Accessible from anywhere.
• Offers flexible environment in which other services and components
can be added.
• Games and simulation for learning on mobile devices
• helps learners to improve literacy and numeric skills
• can be used for independent and collaborative learning experiences
• it is portable form one place to another
• Learners can interact with each other and with the instructor instead
of hiding behind large monitors.
• not much technological pre-requisites
• provides real time and location independency
• Learner can individually control his her speed of learning
• Easy to use. used anywhere, anytime
• Handwriting with the stylus pen is more intuitive than using
keyboard and mouse.
• It's possible to share assignments and work collaboratively; learners
and practitioners can e-mail each other, using the infrared function
of a PDA or a wireless network such as Bluetooth.
• Small screens that limit the amount of information that can be
displayed. Causing students using them for long periods of time
• There are limited storage capacities for mobiles and PDAs.
• Challenges to the Security of the Device and Its Data
• Battery Life, data loss due to battery problems
• It's difficult to use moving graphics, especially with mobile phones
• It's a fast-moving market, especially for mobile phones, so devices
can become out of date very quickly.
• Bandwidth may degrade with a larger number of users when using
How m-learning is used to support learning:
• It provides Communication and Collaboration. Real-time chat , data
sharing. Students make groups,
• Allow Capturing and integrating data. Mobile library, network
database, data collection, data synthesis.
• Flexible physical access. Students use local databases, interactive
promptive and just-in-time instruction.
Example 1 :MediaBoard
Is a flexible, web-based tool which lets learners build up online web
pages by sending messages, pictures and audio from their phones.
Author can use this tool for:
• following directions or answering questions to complete a task
• recording speech or other audio using photographs
• adding and editing text to create a
• multimedia web site
• Each mediaBoard that an author sets up is a bit like an
Internet message board.
• Users can attach audio, text and images to the zones on their
mediaBoard by uploading them from their computer via the web, by
e-mail, or by multimedia message (MMS) from a handheld computer
or a mobile phone.
Example 2 :SMS quiz author:
The SMS quiz author is a web-based application that allows you to set
up an automated response system for multiple-choice
quizzes on the learner’s mobile phone. Participants answer
questions by text and receive instant feedback.
Exampl3: MyLearning author for Pocket PC:
MyLearning author for Pocket PC (or PDA)is a set of easy-to-use software
tools that let you
-create learning activities for learners
-using sound and Flash files as well as text.
(Effectiveness Of Mobile Learning In Distance Education) in Allama Iqbal
Open University, Pakistan
Dr. Muhammad Imran YOUSUF
The main aim of this research is to better understand and measure
students‟ attitudes and perceptions towards the importance of mobile
learning in distance education
• Mobile learning can improve the DE by enhancing ways of
communication among distance learners, tutors and supporting
• The biggest advantage of this technology is that it can be used
anywhere, anytime and its usage is easy access to a larger number
of distance learners.
Time of interaction
Type of interaction
*Ease of access/use
Cost *Cost effectiveness