1. I CAPE TOWN♥
A Virtual Fan Park
Mariette du Toit-Helmbold
CEO, Cape Town Tourism
26 October 2010
2. MY CAPE TOWN MUSIC VIDEO
3. MACRO TRENDS
QUALITY OF LIFE AND PLACE
EASIER, FASTER, BETTER
ENVIRONMENT & CLIMATE
TECHNOLOGY AND WEB
4. Cities have become commodities,
indistinguishable from one another and
offering little or no added value.
How do we stand out from the crowd?
5. “It is those cities with the confidence to define
themselves in the minds of their markets (and I
would include its own citizens) that stand out
from the rest. It is not size that makes them
successful, but their determination to
influencing perceptions by positioning
themselves in the market.”
– The Communication Group
6. WHAT GIVES CHALLENGER BRANDS THE
•Locals first – living the brand
•Storytelling (Word of Mouse)
7. • Positive perception, unique identities,
authentic experiences and a powerful
story is the armoury of a successful city
• In today’s market…the story is the unique
selling point, not the product.
8. THE STORY IS CHANGING
Remember the holiday album?
Which became the holiday slide show?
9. The web is the most effective platform for
challenger brands like Cape Town to tell
10. OUR WORLD CUP GOAL
• Build Brand Cape Town
• Get citizens to live and share Brand Cape Town
•Deliver the ultimate visitor experience of Cape Town
• Convert non-traditional visitors into fans and
ambassadors for Cape Town
•Ensure the long-term growth of tourism to the city
11. LIVE IT! LOVE IT! LOUDER!
12. OUR STRATEGY
An integrated approach based on three key ideas –
• The Customer Journey - the traveller as marketer
• Great Cities to Live in are Great to Visit
• Citizens are the Best Brand Ambassadors
13. OUR GAME PLAN
The CUSTOMER JOURNEY was the foundation of our 2010 World Cup
14. WORLD CUP PROGRAMMES
15. CAPE TOWN’S EMARKETING
• Launched a new Cape Town website (January
• Promoted URL everywhere
• Launched dedicated 2010 World Cup website
• Launched Mobi-site (May 2010)
• Activated Social Media Networks
16. AIRPORT WELCOME BILLBOARD
17. OFFICIAL VISITORS’ GUIDE
18. DEDICATED 2010 WEBSITE
19. FACEBOOK: A VIRTUAL FAN PARK
A Facebook Fan Page, I ♥ Cape Town, was launched on 11 June
2010 (one year to kickoff) and quickly became a growing and
active Cape Town brand ambassador community of –
• Proud citizens
• Homesick expats
• Previous visitors yearning for a return trip to the Mother City
• First time visitors asking advice and tips from other fans
20. PUTTING FANS IN THE PICTURE
Key to our World Cup strategy was to encourage
World Cup fans to join our I ♥ Cape Town
Facebook Fan Page, thus capturing these fans into a
valuable “cultivation pool” for future destination
marketing campaigns and research.
•Beenthere.TV photo kiosks at key Fan Hubs
•25 000 pictures taken
21. HARNESSING MEMORY
22. 20 000 NEW FANS DURING WC
23. WE OUR FANS♥
Keeping the memory alive....
•Cape Town Tourism will now be able to keep in touch with
World Cup visitors and inform them of destination marketing
campaigns via this effective social networking community.
•The Facebook Fan Page is one of our most powerful social
networking platforms and is a significant legacy of the World
24. Cape Town’s World Cup Story
OUR FANS US♥
25. Cape Town’s World Cup Story
VINCENT’S AMSTERDAM OFFICE
26. OUR FACEBOOK SUCCESS
•All about Cape Town
•Use the emotional pull of Cape Town
•Appoint a champion
•Don’t spam and be the spam police
27. ABOUT THE FANS
•Demographics – 60% female, 40% male. 60%+ South Africans and
40% from our key source markets (US, UK, Germany and the
•Add photos/wall posts on their own – excellent user generated
content by true brand ambassadors of Cape Town.
•Facebook Mobile – able to connect with a large mobile audience.
•‘Homesick’ for Cape Town
28. OPTIMISING THE FACEBOOK PLATFORM
1. Integration with the website to drive conversion
• Fan box
We integrate Facebook with our website using a 360° strategy.
The most success has come from adding the Fan Box widget onto
high traffic pages, writing blog posts about the fan page/fans,
running competitions to get fans involved and to interact with
29. 2. Activating our fans as brand ambassadors through
• Ask them questions and involve them in campaigns to
create relevant and authentic destination content.
e.g. World Tourism Month Penguin post
30. 3. Activating our fans as brand ambassadors
We use the LIKE button as our competition voting mechanism
e.g. Winter Photo Competition
31. 4. We promote big events that appeal to a mass
One of the key things to keep in mind when engaging with fans
is that we are speaking to a massive audience that is spread
across the world and made up of various ages, races, genders
and social classes.
We stick to messages that are more likely to attract the interest of
the majority of the fans.
E.g. 2010 World Cup information on Fan Parks, Games, Transport
32. 5. We provide a platform to take live events
online with BeenThere.TV
Post World Cup, we use the BeenThere.TV units at events such as
the Loerie Advertising Awards.
Each image is branded for each specific event or attraction and
has proven to be a hugely popular feature with 1000’s of photos
being taken and shared at each location.
33. 6. We remind them why Cape Town is one of the
greatest cities in the world
We regularly publish photos, updates and videos showing
why everyone loves Cape Town.
The responses we get are phenomenal and Cape Town is
clearly a city that evokes an equally strong emotional
connection in locals, expats and visitors.
34. 4. We segmented our fans and created a
“My Cape Town” platform.
Aimed at “in-destination” visitors and citizens.
We kept the link between the two fan pages.
Big is not better – quality over quantity.
35. MY CAPE TOWN
36. MY CAPE TOWN
37. -----Original Message-----
From: Luc Holzach [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org]
Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 2:03 PM
I just saw your awesome "My CapeTown" t-shirts on facebook. Would there be any
possibility to buy and ship four of them to Switzerland? This would surely ease my
homesickness here ;-) Especially now as the winter is slowly creeping in :-(
Thank you for some feedback.
Sicherer, schneller und einfacher. Die aktuellen Internet-Browser - jetzt kostenlos