School of graphic design 2014
Lecturer: Miss. Hafiza Wahida Abd Kadir
IMAGES- 'The camera was my signal for help, nothing more.'
The Image Revolution
• The image is in the middle of a revolution.
• Amateurism means
– that the general public are increasingly
providing the news media with pictures, and
companies are producing their own
The Perspective of Intention
• This covers the work of the client under
• The ambitions for the image, for the target group
and for the choice of medium.
• Instrumental, relational, dramatic or non-dramatic
• The surroundings in which the image is
Categories of Image
– Giving the relevant information without value
– Explaining an action or course of events.
– Indicating or encourage a certain opinion.
– Communicating strong feelings using powerful
The Perspective of Proximity
• This covers the work of the photographer
under three (3) categories:
– Cut, where the subject is captured and cut.
– Composition, in which the image's
line, volume, space, light and colour are
composed to form an attractive and orienting
– Meaning, the meaning and content that the
photographer and the client want to get
across using the image.
The Perspective of Reception
• Covers the receiver's or viewer's
encounter with the image:
• The eye receives visual stimuli, which are sent on
to the brain by the optic nerve.
• Consists of a personal feeling, an assessment of
stimuli and processing the impression.
• In which the viewer expresses the meaning of the
image (in image analysis).