We are not yet well prepared… …for the learning economy.
How I deﬁne learning: Learning is the lifelong process of transforming informa1on and experience into knowledge, skills, behaviors, and aVtudes.
The 10 Ways 1. Adopt the Right Mindset 2. Cul1vate Your Network 3. Ask Ques1ons 10 Ways, not 4. Be an Ac1ve Note Taker THE 10 Ways 5. Set and Manage Goals Focus on learner 6. Prac1ce, Deliberately Focus on act 7. Be Accountable 8. Use Technology Be,er more than 9. Mind Your Body outcome 10. Embrace Responsibility
1. Adopt the Right Mindset • Belief • Consciousness • Competence • Recep1vity
7. Be Accountable • Check Sources • Test Yourself • Teach It
8. Use Technology Be,er • Assessment • Access • Diversity • Ac1on • Order
8. Use Technology Be,er • Assessment Have I found tools that help • Access me test the knowledge I possess in a par1cular area? • Diversity Have I iden1ﬁed • Ac1on informa1on sources, • Order conversa1ons, and curators that help me assess ways in which I might want to build my knowledge or skills?
8. Use Technology Be,er • Assessment When is the last 1me I went • Access on a “learnabout” (a coinage based on the term • Diversity “walkabout”) to ﬁnd interes1ng new resources to • Ac1on support my learning goals? • Order What are the types of technology-‐driven learning experiences I have found helpful, and why? Where can I ﬁnd more of a similar nature?
8. Use Technology Be,er • Assessment Am I consciously using • Access technology to seek a diversity of learning • Diversity experiences? • Ac1on Do I repeat the same old things again and again, or • Order do I challenge myself to ﬁnd ideas and perspec1ves I haven’t previously considered?
8. Use Technology Be,er • Assessment • Access Am I using technology not just as tool for passive consump1on, but • Diversity also as a way to ac1vely engage in learning ac1vi1es, such as • Ac1on taking notes, wri1ng a blog, playing learning games, etc.? • Order What new approaches – e.g., crea1ng a podcast, producing a short video, star1ng a Tumblr feed – might align well with my current learning goals?
8. Use Technology Be,er • Assessment Am I using technology tools • Access eﬀec1vely to help me make sense of the chao1c ﬂow of • Diversity new informa1on and experiences? • Ac1on • Order Have I explored the full capabili1es of the tools I’m using so that I can get the most out of them?
Moving forward They know enough who know how to learn – Henry Adams
Addi1onal ques1ons or comments? 1. Adopt the Right Mindset 2. Cul1vate Your Network 3. Ask Ques1ons 4. Be an Ac1ve Note Taker 5. Set and Manage Goals 6. Prac1ce, Deliberately 7. Be Accountable 8. Use Technology Be,er 9. Mind Your Body 10. Embrace Responsibility