In simple words , HRP is understood as the process of forecasting an organization’s future demand for , and supply of , the right type of people in the right no. It is only after this that the HRM department can initiate the recruitment and selection process. so we can say that HRP is a sub-system in the total organizational planning. organizational planning includes managerial activities that set the company’s objectives for the future and determines
Over the years HRIS have been acknowledged as imp. Inputs to corporate decisions making process . financial ,operational, strategic business objectives are now not being considered in isolation of human resource objectives. Hence , human resource system are now enterprise-wide decision support system.
Traditionally, HRIS is considered as automated record keeping of employees and computerization of their payroll. But today with the help of HRIS HR manager can play a better role beyond their administrative role. HRIS broadly includes people , policies, procedures and data. it need not limit its focus on automation of manual HR job like record keeping or payroll preparation. It Is a service in the form of information. The nature of information depends on users’ requirements. The users may not only be the HR head, it may even be an MD of an org.
1-HRIS provides support for future planning and for policy formulation, both micro and macro levels. At enterprise or micro level, HRIS forms the basis for HRM and more particularly HRP.2-HRIS facilitates monitoring of human resources demand and supply imbalances and evaluation of the policy on development and utilization of human resource.3-HRIS provides required inputs to enterprise-wide strategic decisions , like redundancy , rightsizing, competency profiling ,change of technology, etc.
It can minimize the cost burden from an organization by substituting manpower.
Nature and type of HRIS depend on the level and ease of use .so we can say that its main focus is on data , storage, processing and information at the operational level of the organization. thus it is restricted to payroll and basic details on employee. At this stage of HRIS , it does not facilitate enterprise wide decision support system. It only supplements painful manual preparation of payrolls and basic employee related information..
Overshooting of expenses on overtime, its extent and magnitude, can be analyzed to enforce control on the same. Similarly, compilation of different statutory reports, for filing before statutory authorities can be done with MIS. MIS facilitates information retrieval, analysis, inquiry and report generation to support middle level manager to enforce operational control and at the same time to address to statutory requirement(like filing of report on accident, man days loss, retrenchment, employee turnover, strikes lock outs , layoffs etc.)
for HRP, competency mapping of existing manpower, their future utilization under changed technology, downsizing on rightsizing, training and development initiative, etc., are the crucial issues for internal manning in tune with corporate goals and objectives. even for internal benchmarking, restructuring, designing suitable compensation packages, retention and motivation of good performers , etc., DSS is important.
There are many other vendors with standard HRIS packages and each of them disseminate the nature of information that could be made available by their packages in different HR areas.
Recruitment management is one of the core HRIS modules, which is in the product profile of all HRIS vendors. To hire and deploy the best people at the minimum cost and within a time bound schedule, HRIS modules on recruitment mgmt, generally cover following areas….
Planning , implementing and costing of training are again essential parts of HRIS for any org. control and monitoring of training events, maintenance of training records of employees are also the critical inputs for this HR function. These are the important HRIS modules on training and development……
This module provides HRIS data on unplanned absence, list of late arrivals, report on attendance incentives, leave record, break profile, overtime profile, shift pattern, etc.
1. “HRP is the process of forecasting a firm’sfuture demand for, and supply of, the righttype of people in the right number.”By K Aswathappa
2. The composite of databases , computerapplications, and hardware and software thatare used to collect/record, store manage,deliver, present and manipulate data forhuman resource.By- Broderick and Boudreau
3. HRIS is the system to acquire , store, manipulate , analyze , interpret anddisseminate relevant information on humanresource.BY-DIPAK KUMAR BHATTCHARYYA
4. EFFECTIVE PLANNING AND POLICYFORMULATION MONITORING AND EVALUATION PROVIDING INPUTSTO STRATEGICDECISION
5. Other routine objectives of HRIS are toautomate employee related information ,costminimization, faster response to employeerelated services, faster relateddecision(like, promotion, transfer, payrolladministration, compensation planning,manpower planning ,etc.)
6. ELECTRONIC DATA PROCESSING ( EDP ) MANAGEMENT INFORMATION SYSTEM( MIS) DECISION SUPPORT SYSTEM ( DSS )
7. At the primary level , an organization may beinterested in automating processing ofroutine information. it is an exercise ofautomating routine paperwork at theoperational level.
8. In this phase focus is shifted from EDP levelto MIS level with more enquiry and reportgeneration flexibility.This is intended formiddle level manager to control theoperation, matching budget or projection.
9. DECISION SUPPORT SYSTEM (DSS)facilitates decisions at the higher level in theorganization.At this stage HRIS is moreinteractive and capable of developingdecision models on many strategic issues.
10. It is important to mention that all these types ofHRIS are equally important for an organization.Without EDP, i.e. , the basic data storage ofemployees information and payrolls, MIS can not bedeveloped. Because at MIS stage , middle levelmanagers , duly retrieving information, try toenforce control at the operational level.Similarly, without EDP and MIS, DSS can notdevelop decision models, examining decisionalternatives, as at the corporate level, inputs fromEDP and MIS reinforce DSS with enhancedinteractivity.
14. Automatic exception reporting Accurate attendance roll Integration with payroll Reports on unplanned absence and latearrivals Working hours regulation Overtime hours calculation
15. HRIS is now an important input to thecorporate decision making process. It notonly helps in HRP function, but also providesdecision support for formulatingoperational, business and corporatestrategies.