1. Facebook 101 Innisfree HotelsPrepared by Jill Thomas, September 24, 2011
2. Why Bother?The # of Americans 35+on Facebook doubled lastmonth.The fastest growingdemographic is 55+44% online sharinghappens on FacebookMore then 1/2 ofAmericans use Facebook
3. 62% of small businesses in UShave a Facebook page.93% of American brands have aFacebook page.37% of Americans search forbusiness information on Facebookrather then a website.
4. Customers expect responses to questions likeWhere’s the Pool?They expect to make reservations fortomorrow.They post knee jerk complaints & expectinstant resolution.
5. Word of Mouth = 200 TV Ads Justin Holmerud, Director of Field Marketing, Social Media & Mobile for Starwood Hotels, says, “Engaging customers in social media conversations is the ﬁrst step in making them advocates for your hotel.”
6. Content is King Facebook marketing = content marketing. Content marketing = distributing content to attract customers & build loyalty. Content marketing is a creative response to customers who’ve tuned out traditional marketing (which is almost everyone).
7. CharismaIf your content isn’t compellingyour customers will tune you out.Easier to tune out with new‘Unsubscribe’ function.Trends suggest consumers willgain more control over contentthey view on social networks.
8. Good Content is Hard to Find Must constantly create and curate diverse, entertaining, valuable content. This is difﬁcult & labor intensive. Easier if everyone helps. Think Social!
9. Boring Content= No Edge Edge Rank is 2nd most important computer algorithm in marketing after Google search. It’s Facebook’s algorithm that determines what your fans see in their News Feed. Edge Rank decides if your customers will see your content.
10. You Got Edge?Every interaction withFacebook creates an‘edge’ like status updates,picture uploads &relationship statuschanges.Only the most important‘edges’ make it into aNews Feed.
12. AfﬁnityBased on how your actions. If you snoop, like,comment on someone’s content their contentwill appear in your News Feed.Self perpetuating. The more someoneappears in your News Feed, the more youare likely to interact with their content andthe more afﬁnity will be gained.One way street.
13. WeightSome edges have more weight then others.More weight = more News Feed views.Videos, links and photos have more weight.
14. Recency Edge decays over time. Newer content is prioritized.
15. Curate, Create & Engage to Succeed Likes & comments on posts, comments on our wall = Afﬁnity. Diversity of content = weight. Consistency = recency. Afﬁnity + weight + recency = SALES! Timing is everything.
16. Every DayClick on globe & respond -last word.Check fan page newsfeed. Share & Schedule.Respond to Talk to Us - Casual Concierge.Post update before 1pm.Use all content in monitor ﬁle plus your own.I do sales & blog. Don’t post on blog content.
17. Posting GuidelinesUse @links whenever possible.Share video & links whenever possible.When not possible use compellingpicture.Three lines - never more.Check off what you’ve done inBasecamp.Think Social & ADD to basecamp.