Question 4: How did you use media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages?
Research and Planning Video Camera’s Digital Camera’s Wikipedia www.blogger.com
Where we used these technologies <ul><li>During the research and planning we have used a wide range of extensive technologies, I will now outline where and why we used them; </li></ul><ul><li>Google – This was used as our primary search engine on the internet and allowed us to access all of the web pages we needed for reference. </li></ul><ul><li>YouTube – Here we researched similar teaser trailers to help us form the basis of our teaser trailer. </li></ul><ul><li>Imdb – The internet movie database was the location where we could find out revenue costs and profits for a particular film. For example we carried out research into the horror genre to see whether we had a worth while product to create. </li></ul><ul><li>Blogger.com – As u can see blogger.com has been used extensively not only in planning and researching but throughout the entire project. Using blogger.com allowed each of us to collaborate, share and put forward ideas. </li></ul><ul><li>Wikipedia – Again this proved useful for finding information out about specific films, although this website was not as useful as imdb, it did provide a good baseline for future research. </li></ul><ul><li>Digital Camera’s and Video Camera’s – Naturally these were utilised throughout the project but specifically in research and planning they allowed us to scout locations for the teaser – an example of this would be when we went on location in Belthorn forest. </li></ul>
Construction of the Teaser Audio Capture and Editing Software Apple Macs PC’s InDesign Photoshop Video Camera’s Digital Camera’s dafont.com iTunes Final Cut Macromedia Fireworks
Where we used these technologies <ul><li>Audio Capture and Editing Software – This was used only once to capture the voice over at the end of the teaser. Once this was captured we edited it using the software to add distortion and change the balance from right to left. </li></ul><ul><li>Final Cut – Used intensively throughout the project this was used to edit our teaser. The software allowed us to add filters, such as, the blur added over the little girl at the end of the teaser. </li></ul>Video Camera’s – Again these were used to film our project and although only handheld, gave us the effect we needed to make a low budget movie.
<ul><li>Photoshop – This was used for the ancillary tasks when images needed to be edited before being put onto the poster/magazine. I used this programme to create a darkened fade to the edges of the main image – this made the different grains blend in with each other. </li></ul><ul><li>InDesign – The main programme we used to create the posters and magazine cover was InDesign. Here we could create an A4 page, add borders, colours, images etc. This proved tricky to use but with persistence created professional results. </li></ul><ul><li>Macromedia Fireworks – Out of college it was necessary for me to use Fireworks as I do not have an Apple Mac. Very similar to Photoshop and InDesign this allowed me to add finishing touches to my poster. With the added bonus of more effects I managed to add a slight haze over the whole poster to make it appear more eerie. </li></ul><ul><li>dafont.com – Simple allowed us to download free fonts from the internet – this is where we found the main font for the products; 1942 Missing Report. </li></ul>
Where? <ul><li>DVD’s and Overhead Projectors – we used these two technologies to present our finished products to the rest of our class. We burned the teaser onto a DVD, adding titles and a home page, and then projected it onto an interactive whiteboard for the audience to see. With this we create final audience feedback using – Video Camera’s . </li></ul><ul><li>PowerPoint and Slideshare – Both have been used together to evaluate the products. Firstly the data has been displayed on PowerPoint and then it is uploaded via Slideshare and finally embedded on the blog. This is much easier than creating an essay both for the reader and writer. </li></ul><ul><li>Flickr – This allowed me to add a widget into the blog so that large images could be stored collectivly rather than cluttering the page. </li></ul><ul><li>Prezi.com – I attempted to use this software to evaluate the media products but found that it would not load onto the blog. This shows that not all media technologies can work together. </li></ul>
Conclusion <ul><li>On the whole all of the programmes have allowed me and the group to create a very fulfilling product, with very few issues if any with editing and creating them. The fact that we created good, professional products is testament to the software we have used – proving that anyone can create solid products with very little experience. </li></ul>