45 mins presentation @ the MVP Cloud RoadShow on April 11, 2015
In preview and recently available in Canada, Power BI. Insights are hiding in your company's data - see the impact of bringing them into focus with Power BI. Let Power BI organize your data. See it all in one place and make better decisions. The metrics you need to run your business on a dashboard. Make confident decisions knowing everyone is on the same page.
Power BI - Bring your data together
Saturday April 11, 2015
Who am I?
My name is Stéphane Fréchette
SQL Server MVP | Consultant | Speaker | Data & BI Solutions Architect |
Big Data |NoSQL | Data Science. Drums, good food and fine wine.
I have a passion for architecting, designing and building solutions that
• Excel for BI - Power Query, PowerPivot, Power View, and Power Map
• Power BI for Office 365
• Microsoft Power BI Preview
• Power BI Designer
• Power BI app for iOS
Power Query, PowerPivot,
Power View, and Power Map
Search and combine public and corporate
data with Power Query
Model & analyze 100’s of millions of rows
lightning fast with Power Pivot
Explore and visualize data in new ways with
Power View and Power Map
Excel BI | Capabilities
Enable self-service data discovery, query, transformation and mashup experiences for Information
Workers, via Excel and PowerPivot
Discovery and connectivity to a wide range of data sources, spanning volume as well as
variety of data.
Highly interactive and intuitive experience for rapidly and iteratively building queries over
any data source, any size.
Consistency of experience, and parity of query capabilities over all data sources.
Joins across different data sources; ability to create custom views over data that can then
be shared with team/department.
• Excel add-in to enhance self-service BI
• Identify and import external data:
o Relational dB
o Web pages
o Hadoop HDFS
• Discover relevant data by using search
• Combine and transform multiple data sources
Discover, combine, and refine Big Data, small data, and any data with Power Query for Excel.
• PowerPivot empowers business users to create self-service BI data models
- Achieved with a client-side version of SQL Server Analysis Services,
known as the In-Memory Analytics Engine
- Can efficiently store data volumes far greater than what Excel
worksheets can achieve
• A separate window can be used to load, explore, relate, and enrich data
• Can import and relate data from corporate, local, and ad hoc data stores
• Excel 2013 Professional Plus edition, PowerPivot is installed, but not
• Power View is an interactive data exploration, visualization, and
- Highly visual design experience
- Rich meta-driven interactivity
- Presentation-ready at all times
• It delivers intuitive ad-hoc reporting for business users
• Reports can be based on tabular data models, including PowerPivot data
• It is now also available in Excel 2013, and with new features:
Power Map for Microsoft Excel enables information workers to discover and share new insights from
geographical and temporal data through three-dimensional storytelling.
• Data in Excel
• 3D and 3 Visuals
• Play over Time
• Annotate points
• Capture scenes
• Cinematic Effects
• Interactive Tours
• Share Workbook
Analyze Visualize Share Find
Scalable | Manageable | Trusted
Power BI for Office 365
Power BI for Office 365
With Excel for authoring reports and Power BI for Office 365 for sharing them,
everyone in your organization has a powerful new way to work with data.
• Power BI Sites - Insights for everyone
• Power BI Q&A - Ask a question, get a remarkable answer
• Mobile BI - Access Anywhere
Microsoft Power BI Preview…
Dashboarding made simple
• From zero to insight
• Explore and discover answers
• Monitor the health of your company
• Build interactive reports
Monitor your business anywhere, anytime
• Your data on the go
Connect all your data!
What is Power BI Designer?
A stand-alone tool providing rich data transformation and
visual analytics in a unified, seamless experience
• Currently in Preview - Free download
• Connect to all you data
• Visual analytics and reports
• Transform and clean data
• Complete analytics life-cycle
• Design once, view everywhere
[Microsoft Power BI Public Preview Portal, Microsoft Power BI Designer,
Microsoft Power BI for iOS…]
Self-service BI in Excel, Power BI provides the tools you need to find
data, shape and filter it how you want, model it, and visualize it.
• Microsoft Power BI http://bit.ly/1lhVKdk
• Power BI Team Blog http://bit.ly/1vwbTLG
• Microsoft Power BI Preview (Register) http://bit.ly/1zWwAFS
• Power BI - Getting Started Guide http://bit.ly/1FF88KA
• Faster Insights to Data with Power BI Jump Start (MVA) http://bit.ly/1ktON16
• Channel 9 (BI) http://bit.ly/1a9Q0gv
• Chris Webb’s BI Blog – Power BI http://bit.ly/1GT7j0l
• SQL Chick’s Blog http://bit.ly/1a9Of2L
• Twitter: @MSPowerBI