3. Social Mishap #1
Social Mishap: YouTube
What went wrong? All over the US high school and college students
are getting suspended and parents are suing school districts over
these “dance” videos.
4. Social Mishap #2
Who: Football Player
Social Mishap: Twitter
What went wrong? Fined $25,000
for tweeting during an NFL game
Mark Cuban also got a $25,000 fine
from the NBA for tweeting
grievances about referees
5. Social Mishap #3
Who: Fashion Retailers (Gap and Urban Outfitters)
Social Mishap: Twitter
What went wrong? Both fashion retailers promoted selling their products
by playing a pun off of Hurricane Sandy
6. Social Mishap #4
Who: Sports News Broadcaster
Social Mishap: Website
What went wrong? When announcing the first American
basketball player of Chinese origin Jeremy Lin, ESPN used the
offensive word “Chink”
7. What is Social Media?
“[B]lending of technology and social interactions
for the co-creation of value” -Wikipedia
• A group of Internet-based applications that
build on the ideological and technological
foundations of Web 2.0, which allows the
creation and exchange of user-generated
content, as opposed to the passive viewing of
• CGM-consumer-generated media.
• Users create online communities to share
information, ideas, personal messages, and
8. What Is Social Media?
Definition Benefits Drawbacks How To Issues Experiences
Definition Benefits Drawbacks How To Issues Experiences
•Update status (events, variety)
•Comments/like/share other s’
•Engage in groups
•Email to target group
•Tweet re: services
/products, industry trends/know
how, tips, advice, personal stories
•Respond to @replies/mentions
•Comment on other users’
•Ask questions in tweet
•Update status (personal, market
expertise, tag friends)
(articles, blogs, news, tag/share)
•Comment /Like (after
networking, achievements, bdays,)
17. Did You Also Know?
• More than half of people aged 25-34 use
social networking in the office, more than any
other age group.
• Did you know that one out of eight couples
married in the United States in 2010 met via
• On the other hand, 20% of divorces are now
blamed on Facebook.
Why We Are Here Today
• Ruin College Admissions
• Ruin your reputation
• Can get fired from job or never hired
• Can be a victim of harassment, discrimination, stalking,
• Can face criminally liability (jail +$)
• Can face civilly liability ($)
– Intellectual Property
– Evidence in court against you
19. College Search
• 82% of admissions officers use Facebook to
recruit prospective students
– 80% of admissions officers have received friend
requests from prospective students
• Scholarships: Social Media sites offer
scholarships (ie Twitter, Facebook)
20. Job Search
• 34% of employers who scan social media profiles
found content that has caused them not to hire a
– About 50% due to provocative or inappropriate
photos and information posted on his or her profile
– 45% due to evidence of drinking and/or drug use
– Other reasons:
• Profile displayed poor communication skills,
• Candidate bad mouthed previous employers,
• Candidate made discriminatory comments related to
race, gender, or religion
• Candidate lied about qualifications
21. Social Media Screening
• 37% of employers use social networks to
screen potential job candidates (2 out of every
– 65% to see if the job seeker presents himself or
– 51% to see if the candidate is a good fit for the
– 45% to learn more about his or her qualifications
22. Getting a Job
• 61% use as primary professional network
• 87% trust LinkedIn as source for decision
• >2.6 Million companies have Company Pages
• LinkedIn recommendations can get you hired
24. Facebook Fired
Profession: (Ex) School Teacher
Social Mishap: Facebook
What went wrong? Ashley was asked to resign from Apalachee High
School after posting pictures of herself drinking (one was at the Guinness
Factory in Ireland) and Facebook status updates with expletives.
A 22-year old was offered a job
and excitedly tweeted about it.
The tweet was passed on to
the Hiring Manager at Cisco
and his offer for the “fatty
Domino’s employees uploaded
a video on YouTube of them
doing disgusting things to
food. They were subsequently
28. How to Get Fired or in Deep Trouble
• Breach express policies.
• Criticize your employer, your boss, co-
workers, clients, products or services.
• Make offensive, negative, disparaging
• Make controversial comments without saying
“Views Are My Own, Not My Employer’s.”
• Make disclosure if paid to post.
29. How to Get Fired or in Deep Trouble
• Speak on behalf of a company, group without authority
• Post pictures without consent, SOURCE
• Impersonate or fake post
• Disclose confidential information
• Tell lies/untruths
• Loaf on Social Media
• Plagiarize on people’s words, videos, images. SOURCE
30. Other Criticisms of Social Media
• LACK OF CONCENTRATION:
Middle-school, high school and college students who used
Facebook at least once during a 15 minute period got lower
grades overall. “Fast (Internet/social) media and deep slow
thought don’t mix well.”
• LACK OF HUMAN INTERACTION:
American youth are showing severe lack of social skills.
• DISTORTS REALITY: Posting how you want to appear.
• ADDICTION: A certifiable medical condition. One
psychiatrist claims he treats as many as 100 case/year.
• OTHER: insomnia, mood swings, attention deficits at school
and increased obesity
31. Pearls of Wisdom
1. MANAGE YOUR BRAND: what you do, buy, wear,
read, experience, say, comment, “like” (Keep
clean accounts; no inappropriate postings and
2. PRIVACY (Tighten so only friends can see).
3. GOOGLE AND GOOGLE ALERT YOURSELF.
4. MONITOR (pages at least 1/week).
32. Pearls of Wisdom (cont’d.)
1. REVIEW OLD POSTINGS.
go back to when you first joined social media)
2. WHAT ARE YOUR FRIENDS SAYING ABOUT YOU?
get and give approval before pictures are
2. DON’T BE NAIVE:
relationships can be fleeting in high school!!!
33. RULES OF THUMB
1. If you don't want your parents to see it, don’t
2. DON’T BE A COWARD: If you wouldn’t say
something to someone’s face at a meeting or
picnic or party, don’t email, text or Facebook
1. Think 3X before sending anything.
2. Walk away from phone or computer if angry.
3. Remember you are likely monitored.
4. Comply with any
school, team, group, club, employer policies
(logo, branding, disclosures, disclaimers, mission
5. Be authentic.
6. Be respectful.
7. Cautiously discuss politics/religion.
1. Forget your acts may be imputed to your
school, team, club, group, employer
2. Be negative. Do not disparage anyone period.
3. Be insincere or fake.
4. Give away too much location/personal data.
5. Tag with wild abandon.
8. @reply when you meant to DM.
9. Post to a wall when you should have emailed via
Kraemer, Esquire, MBA, CTP-
Katie Imler, JD/MBA
Student, Pitt Law
MAZURKRAEMER BUSINESS LAW
reinvigorating our economy, empowering
entrepreneurship one business at a time
BANKRUPTCY * BUSINESS LAW *STRATEGIC
CONSULTING*LITIGATION* INTERNET LAW
WEIRTON, WEST VIRGINIA
38. MAZURKRAEMER BUSINESS LAW
Mail to : 3205 Pennsylvania Avenue, Suite B, Weirton WV 26062
Phone: 304.300.0593 (WV)
Phone: 412-427-7075 (cell)
Follow Us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/salenekraemer
Let's Get LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/salenekraemer
Watch Us on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/mazurkraemer
LICENSED TO PRACTICE LAW IN PA, WV, AND NJ
*The 6Ps of the BIG 3™ for Job-Seeking JDs, by Amanda Ellis
http://www.6psbig3.com/blog/index.php/buy-the-book/ or http://amzn.com/0578053039.
•PBI.org’s CLE Facebook, Twitter, Blogging- Oh My Space, available here
•See also posts we made to our Twitter Feed @salenekraemer and our Mazurkraemer
Tony Cooper, One in Five U.S. Divorces Fueled by Facebook, Social Media, Recent survey by AAML shows Facebook-related antics, extramarital activity burgeoning, San Diego News.Socialnomics. Retrieved 16 June 2012.
According to a survey of 386 of the nation's top colleges and universities, http://www.petersons.com/college-search/social-media-college-admissions.aspxhttp://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/the-scholarship-coach/2013/04/04/leverage-social-media-in-your-scholarship-search