User Interaction in Game Narrative and User Engagement
Kevin Murphy – B00187491
• What is Interactive Storytelling?
– From: Dialogue choices to change events
– To: Procedurally generated story based on player
• What is the aim of the project?
– Linear storytelling or interactive, which is more
engaging to the user?
• ‘Interactive storytelling’ is a medium which
transcends computer games
• Storytelling is a ‘long-winded’ but necessary
system for teaching morals
• True interactivity requires listening,
thinking and speaking.
• Designed by Michael Mateas and Andrew
Stern. Released in 2005.
• Research Question – Is an interactive story
more engaging than a non-interactive (linear)
• How? – Two different types of story being
compared using the Narrative Engagement
Scale (Busselle and Bilandzic, 2009)
• Who? – 40 game players
• Story was chosen using four criteria defined
by Tomin and Liu (2008) to investigate
interactive storytelling in existing media.
– Degree of freedom
– Variety of goals
– Level of immersion
– Wealth of story
• The Walking Dead by Telltale Games was
• From the data collected in the experiment, the
results support the hypothesis that interactive
stories are more engaging.
Interactive story Non-interactive
Average 5.29 4.74
Median 6 5
Mode 7 7
Standard Deviation 0.583 1.809
• Write-up of Experiment and Analysis
• Format Dissertation