SCHOOL DISTRICT OF CLAY COUNTY
1. SDCC provides opportunity for students to expand
2. Opportunity =
3. Goal of school Internet
a. Resource sharing
b. Accessing outside information
d. Encouraging technological innovation
e. Worldwide communication
•Question: Compared to other schools around the country and
the world, what do you think our school would be like if we did
not have access to the Internet?
4. Students will have access to:
a. Worldwide electronic mail
b. Global information and news.
c. Public domain and shareware computer
d. Educational discussion groups.
e. Access to many university libraries and
5. Some materials on the Internet are not of educational value
while at school.
6. This material may not be suitable for students.
7. The instructor will monitor student use of the Internet to
prevent students from accessing unsuitable material.
8. Internet access is through an association of government,
regional & state networks.
9. School district wants the network to be used in a ,
efficient, ethical and legal manner.
10. Operation of Internet relies on proper conduct of the users.
USER GUIDELINES Continued
11. If you violate, your account will be terminated.
12. Serious violations may result in school disciplinary action or
13. A signature indicates that the user has read and understands.
14. Internet use must support education and research.
15. Users are encouraged to take advantage of the network’s
a. electronic mail
c. bulletin boards
e. access to the Internet
16. Use of Internet = privilege
17. Inappropriate use = no privilege
Question: Why do you think using the Internet at school is a
18. Abide by the rules of network etiquette.
19. Be polite.
20. Do not use vulgar or obscene language.
21. Do not reveal your address or phone number or those of
22. Electronic mail is not guaranteed to be private.
23. Do not disrupt the network, the data, or other users.
24. Unacceptable Uses of Network
a. Violating student or staff rights to privacy.
b. Using the Internet without application of common sense.
c. Using profanity, obscenity, or other language which may be
offensive to another user.
d. Sending or accessing pornographic text and/or graphics.
e. Unauthorized games.
f. Sending or receiving copyrighted materials.
g. Reporting personal communications without the author’s prior
Question: What could happen to a person, whose private
information such as a name, address and phone number,
given out over the Internet without their permission?
Unacceptable Uses of Network Continued
h. Using for commercial activities, product advertisement, or
i. Knowingly transmitting viruses.
k. Chain letters.
l. Unauthorized solicitations for goods and services.
m. Posting personal views .
n. Unauthorized streaming video or music – this ties up the
bandwidth & slows down the network.
Question: What would happen to the school Internet if a virus was sent
in to infect the system?
25. SDCC makes no warranties.
26. SDCC will not be responsible for damages or loss of data.
27. SDCC will not be responsible for the accuracy or quality of
information obtain on network.
28. Inappropriate Internet sites should be reported to teacher
29. Security is a high priority.
30. Do not show or identify the problem to others.
31. Do not use another individual’s account.
32. Attempts to log on as another user will result in cancellation of
33. Security risk users will be denied network access.
34. Vandalism = privileges cancellation and/or disciplinary action.
35. Vandalism is a malicious attempt to harm or destroy data of
another user, Internet, or other networks.
36. Includes creation or uploading computer viruses on the
Internet or host site.
37. Degrading or disrupting system performance is a crime under
state and federal law.
38. Teachers are to make sure students:
a. Know how to use the Internet correctly &
b. Know what happens if they don’t!