Explain where these trends are leading in terms of wealth creation/distribution as shown in part by evidence in next graph - Detals in 2nd Machine age – mcAfee & Brynjolfsson
Explain how the increase in productivity should translate to greater total wealth, yet the median income has not gone up – therefore this extra wealth has gone somewhere – to the top 2%
Almost all jobs in future via IT and startups – see Atlassian
From ACS pub – comment of which are covered in new subject?
What kind of qualities are important to a being successful in a company and as a company? We think the Amazon leadership principles are important and a great place to start. This slide give you insight into our culture…these are Amazon’s core guiding principles, but are a great foundation for any job in the cloud. Touching on just three --
Customer obsession guides our business/innovation – Our solutions architects have been known to . work around the clock to help companies bring new products to market. This is an example of customer obsession…but it’s more than being responsive to our customers. We truly start with the customer and work backwards. So much so, that periodically someone will leave a seat open at a conference table and highlight to all attendees that the empty seat is occupied by the most important person - their customer. Presenter – feel free to insert personal example] This obsession guides our business and innovation.
Think big – think big and be willing to roll up your sleeves at every level. Thinking big is how AWS was created. Experimentation and willingness to invent has always been a part of the culture. Everyone can consider strategy as part of their responsibility. Of course, there is always more work to do than can be done in a day/week/year. So, employees must ruthlessly prioritize and periodically remind themselves to step away from the daily tasks to think bigger picture. It’s up to us as individuals to find that time though without compromising results.
Invent and simplify– We require innovation and invention and always looks for ways to simplify. We look for new ideas from everywhere, and are not limited by “not invented here”. As you move forward in a cloud career, you will be faced with new and different problems that have likely not been encountered before. Inventing new processes, tools, products to simplify these complex challenges are key to growth and success.
Careers Presentation For Year 12 Students
New Job Clusters
The Second Machine Age
Paul Herring MACS (Snr) CP
The World Has Changed:
”20 years ago, if you wanted to cure
cancer, you would have gone into
medicine, but if you want to cure
cancer today you should go into
The possibilities are endless.”
- Anna Emerson, SPLC old-scholar
& Google Software Engineer
• There are some 13 transferable enterprise skills that all
the jobs in 1 ‘cluster’ share.
• The demand for digital skills is up by 212% over the last
3 years yet over 27% of school leavers have low
proficiency in digital literacy (let alone any digital skills
that could be classed at the level of fluency or mastery).
• Also the demand for critical thinking skills is up 158% (a
skill set that can be dramatically improved through the
effective use of digital technology).
• Hard specialist knowledge skills like Science, Technology, Engineering and
Maths, plus Entrepreneurship, Art and Design – STEAMED.
• Soft people skills like critical thinking, communication, collaboration,
connectivity, creativity, and culture.
• Health care professionals, carers and aides, and business, human
resources and marketing professionals are projected to see some of the
largest employment gains in Australia in the short term – through to 2021.
• Each of these jobs involves complex situations and requires creative
problem solving skills. They also require high levels of contact with clients.
• There is a very serious need to gain basic digital literacy skills
• Advanced digital skills will be required for the future,
• ‘computational thinking’,
• ‘new-media literacy’,
• ‘design mindset’,
• ‘virtual collaboration’.
‘The Second Machine Age’ will need good skills in:
• large-frame pattern recognition, and
• complex communication
• The clusters with the strongest future potential are:
• The Carers,
• The Informers, and
• The Technologists
• All very much IT centric.
Co-CEO & co-founder of Atlassian
- Mike Cannon-Brookes:
• "If we're not investing in technology we're completely stuffed as
• "I think fundamentally it's about talent -- that's our biggest
challenge in this country. Talent, training, and STEM education in
high schools is critically important."
• … if the nation does not employ some form of Computational
Thinking in schools, … we won’t have the workforce in 20 - 30
years' time that we will need.
• "In the UK, kindergarten through 12 do Computer Science
education; various states in the US are starting to mandate
Computer Science as one of the things you graduate with in year
12 as a mandatory subject like Maths and English, …"
a) the digitization of more and more information,
goods, and services,
- networks and standards.
c) Intelligent Systems
– Machine Learning & Robotics
• But there’s more! A New Economic Model
Google chief economist Hal Varian:
• “Seek to be an indispensable complement to
something that’s getting cheap and plentiful.”
• data scientists,
• writers of mobile phone apps, and
• genetic counsellors
Ethics also vital:
• We cannot outsource our responsibilities to machines.
We must hold on ever tighter to human values and human
• Zeynep Tufekci, Techno-sociologist
Career Skills Now Needed:
What can you do in Year 12 in 2017?
• Evaluate the Job Clusters
• where do you see yourself; your talents; skills; passions;
• Enrol in IT courses – ANY
• Get a job
• find part-time or vacation jobs working as a technology volunteer for non-profits or other orgs
• - see job clusters – next slide
• Develop your competency with the Top 10 Skills in 2020
• Amazon Leadership Skills – see next slide
• Consider how different the world will be when you get to your 40’s!
Amazon’s Leadership Principles
Invent and Simplify*
Are Right, A Lot
Learn and Be Curious
Hire and Develop the Best
Insist on the Highest Standards
Bias for Action
Have Backbone; Disagree and
What qualities are important to being successful?
Development of a quantum computer, would mark a leap forward in computing capability far greater than
that from the abacus to a modern day supercomputer, with performance gains in the billion-fold realm