POPULAR CORE 1
A N D H O W TO AT TA C K T H E M
OUTLINE THE RISK & PROTECTIVE
FACTORS OF AUSTRALIA’S HEALTH
• Know – Illnesses? Diseases? Population affected? That burden
our health status
• How it is measured? M/M/C.I/C.C/D.D
• What are risk factors?
• What are protective factors?
• Most common ones to ask about?
LINK TO HEALTH OF YOUNG PEOPLE: THE
IMPACT OF MULTIPLE RISK FACTORS ON
THE HEATH OF YOUNG PEOPLE
• Increase risk taking
• Limited educational attainment
• Limited access to services
• Increased morbidity and mortality
DESCRIBE THE HEALTH INEQUITIES
EXPERIENCE BY PRIORITY POPULATION
• Know our priority populations
• How are they identified? M/M/C.I/C.C/D.D
• Nature of inequities
• Extent of inequities
• Sociocultural/Socioeconomic and Environmental determinants
• Roles of individuals, communities and Governments in
addressing health issue
• Be prepared to compare 2 populations.
DISCUSS THE IMPACT OF AUSTRALIA’S
GROWING & AGEING POPULATION?
ANALYSE THE ACCESSIBILITY TO HEALTH
SERVICES FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS
•EQUITY VS EQUALITY
•BARRIERS TO HEALTH SERVICES
•MEDICARE V PRIVATE HEALTH CARE
•WAYS TO OVERCOME BARRIERS
DEMONSTRATE THE BENEFITS OF
EMERGING NEW TREATMENTS &
• What is it asking?
• Know examples
• Do not be tricked by photos
• Discuss positives WITH EXAMPLES
• Have a strong conclusion
EXPLAIN THE GROWTH OF ALTERNATIVE
AND COMPLEMENTARY MEDICINE
•WHICH IS WHICH?
•Reasons for growth
•EXAMPLES & BENEFITS
•Consumer choices – what should they ask?
• KNOW EXAMPLES
• OTTAWA CHARTER
• INTERSECTORIAL COLLABORATION
• BE CRITICAL – GIVE SUGGESTIONS FOR
• BE ASSERTIVE
LINK TO ‘EQUITY & HEALTH’
EFFECTIVE & SUSTAINABLE HEALTH
• Working with the target group in program design and implementation – Empower
individuals, feel represented, connected
• Ensuring Cultural relevance and appropriateness – reflect population and their identity
• Focusing on skills, education, prevention – know better, do better
• Support WHOLE population while directing resources to those in high risk – Equitable
• Intersectoral collaboration – seen as a priority, solutions can be found across sectors
ENABLE – MEDIATE - ADVOCATE