Successfully reported this slideshow.
You’ve unlocked unlimited downloads on SlideShare!
Types of contributions
• Help adoption
• Assist other users
• At work, on Stackoverflow etc
• Contribute to documentation
• Garden the issue tracker
• Report issues
• Expand ecosystem
• Patch the core
Gardening the issue tracker
• Summarize discussions from other channels
• Capture problems
• Sift facts, opinions, and analysis (steps, problems,
• Reproduce the reported issues
• Leaving breadcrumbs for contributors (previous
discussions, source links)
Patching the core
• Lightbend Discuss
• "Help wanted", "Good first issue"
Plugins that got merged to sbt
• See http://eed3si9n.com/sbt-server-reboot
sbt server reboot
Language Server Protocol
• created by Microsoft for VS Code
• abstracts IDE features like a web API
demand for rich development environment
• Jump to error
• Code navigation
• Tab completion
• Visual debugging
• Incremental compiler
• Library management
• Test integration
• Plugin capabilities
(100+ of plugins)
• Event logging
a brief history of sbt server
• 'client-server split for sbt' (2013) Havoc Pennington
• A proposal to split sbt into 2 JVMs: client (cmd,
IDE, Play run etc) talks to server.
• Typesafe Activator 1.3.0 (2015) was released
• 'sbt server reboot' (2016) Eugene Yokota
• 1 JVM. sbt server listens to both CLI and
network. IDEA calling compile.
• sbt 1.1.0 (2017) was released with server built-in
using Language Server Protocol.
• single JVM process
• implemented as a command, sort of
• JSON API to drive sbt from network
what is sbt server?
• IDE integration
• Distributed build