3. 3 Joi Ito, http://www.flickr.com/photos/joi/548050025/ Some background
4. 4 Why enforcement?
5. 5International conflicts
6. 5International conflicts
7. 5International conflicts
8. 3 types ofcases Authors sue for licence breach / infringement. Non-licence related (defamation) CC is incidental
9. 7Case 09-1684-A (Belgium) In 2004 Belgian band Lichôdmapwa posts song under BY-NC- ND 2.5 (Unported?) Festival de Theatre de Spa used song for radio ad. Band sued for licence breach of the attribution and non- commercial clauses. Judge enforces the licence, band wins 4500€.
10. 8Avi Reuveni v. Mapa inc.(Israel) Plaintiffs uploaded photographs to Flickr and and offered them under a BY-NC-ND license. Defendant made a collage from the plaintiffs’ and other photographs and sold them without attribution. The court found the defendant guilty of copyright infringement. Court did not consider the licences.
11. German case Attribution ShareAlike 3.0 Unported Picture was used by a far-right party without attribution. Author sued for licence breach. Injunction to avoid non- compliance damages of up to 250.000,00 EUR. Thilo Sarrazin am 3. Juli 2009 by Nina Gerlach / CC BY-SA
12. 10Community enforcement
13. 10Community enforcement
14. 10Community enforcement
15. 11Community enforcement
16. 12Keep the lawyers away
17. 13Bringing in institutions
18. 14Why I think we need 4.0 We need to improve and tweak language to make it more international. Databases, databases, databases. We need to make our licence more friendly for institutional adopters.