1. Don’t Buy Your Marketing. Earn It.Rand Fishkin | CEO http://bit.ly/dontbuyearn
2. Many Folks Think This is How Web Marketing Works…
3. Let’s Buy Some Of These
4. And a Couple of These
5. Can’t Forget About These
6. And, Some of These
7. Right, These Guys Too
8. Marketing? Nailed it!
9. There’s Two Huge Problems with This Approach
10. #1: Click Distribution
11. Only 18% of Clicks Go Here
12. 82% Go Here
13. Less than 1% of Clicks Go Here
14. 99% Go Everywhere ElseEspecially Here
15. The Best Facebook Ads Get <10% CTR
16. But Wall Posts Do Great
17. Banner Ads Are Lucky to Get 1% CTR
18. But Web ContentGenerates Tons of Views
19. Blog Sidebar Ads? <5%
20. Blog Content? Doing Great; Thank You.
21. Paid Marketing: ~10% of traffic($40 Billion of investment in 2012*) Inbound Marketing: ~90% of traffic (but only $5 Billion of investment in 2012*) *Via Forrester’s Interactive Marketing 2012 Report
22. #2: Cost of Acquisition
23. Meet Steve
24. Steve Uses Ads to Buy Traffic
25. Steve Spends $500 on Average to Acquire a New Customer
26. Meet Greg
27. Greg Leverages Inbound Channels to Earn Traffic
28. Greg Spends $100 on Average to Acquire a New Customer
29. Greg Can Aqcuire 5X as Many Customers as Steve
30. Or Greg Can Spend $400 perCustomer to Improve His Product
31. Who Would You Rather Be?
32. How Inbound Marketing Works:
33. Great Contenthttp://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/your-looks-and-online-dating/
55. 10 Tips to Make Your Inbound Channels More Effective
56. #1: Create a content “strategy,” not just a blog.
57. Winning at Strategy Means
58. Having Great Answers to These Questions
59. Can You Reach the Right People?
60. Why Will They Care About You?
61. What Are You Doing to Earn Their Interest?
62. What Incentive Do They Have to Share?
63. Once They Reach You;
64. Will They Like and Trust You More?
65. Or Less?
66. Answer These, And Your Tactics Become Clear
67. #2: Be willing to fail repeatedly before you find what works Where people usually give up.
68. “The only thing that I see that isdistinctly different about me is that I’mnot afraid to DIE on a treadmill. Youmight have more talent than me, youmight be smarter than me, but if we geton a treadmill together, there are twothings: 1- You’re getting off first OR 2-I’m gonna DIE. It’s really that simple” - Will Smith
69. #3: “Content” doesn’t just mean blog posts,articles and infographics; be willing to get creative. http://scaleofuniverse.com/
70. #4: Put all your content on one domain, under one brand.http://www.seomoz.org/blog/understanding-root-domains-subdomains-vs-subfolders-microsites
71. #5: Experiment with lots of potential networks & channelsUsers: 90mm 850mm 200mm 120mm 10mmUsers: 15mm Millions 14mm 7.5mm
72. #6: Combine keyword research + shareable title for big wins
73. #7: Build relationships with theright influencers using these 3 tools http://www.google.com/reader/view/#directory-search/travel%20blog//0
74. #7: Build relationships with theright influencers using these 3 tools http://followerwonk.com
75. #7: Build relationships with theright influencers using these 3 tools http://findpeopleonplus.com
76. #8: Time things right; use tools to determine when your community is online http://tweriod.com
77. #8: Time things right; use tools to determine what topics are hot right now http://www.google.com/insights/search/
78. #9: Use rel=author from Google and post your content to Google+
79. #10: Don’t ignore advertising;retargeting, PPC, social ads all get moreeffective the bigger your inbound brand grows
80. BONUS #11: News/Media/PR SEO Email Blogs + Blogging Research/White Papers InfographicsComment Marketing Social Networks Online Video COMBINE TO WIN Local Portals (focus on just one, and you miss out) Forums WebinarsSocial Bookmarking Word of Mouth Direct/Referring Links Community Building Type-In Traffic Q+A Sites