Why does it fail?
• Use of social software is not seen as furthering
the library’s mission
• Social software is treated as someone’s
• Social software is not planned for strategically
like other technologies
• Once the newness wears off, people are less
motivated to contribute
• Staff are not given time to work on social
Library 2.0 is a
state of mind
•Working to meet changing user needs
•Trusting our users (radical trust)
•Getting rid of the culture of perfect
•Aware of emerging technologies and
•Looking outside of the library world for
applications, opportunities, inspiration
• Depends on your initial goals
• Web stats
• Number of visitors/subscribers/members/
users/fans and their behavior (visits,
comments, tags, ratings, etc.)
• Surveys and focus groups
• Satisfaction, utility, relevance
• What do they need/want from the library?
• What technologies do your patrons use?
Is your organization (as it is
currently structured) able
to make all this happen?
Links and presentation at
• Long Range Plan Discussion http://ﬂickr.com/photos/maubrowncow/2763362494/ by
Nebraska Library Commission
• O&E Staff and Board Planning Meeting http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/tyreseus/
494325133/ by atp_tyreseus
• Free as in Beer http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/nicmcphee/2345633527/ by
Unhindered by Talent
• Sprout attacks a kleenex box http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/asimpledarksquid/
1187308493/ by Squid!
• TBLC Annual Meeting http://ﬂickr.com/photos/sylvar/287940515/ by Sylvar
• RPFF Portraits & Features #4 http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/tsarkasim/4079152105/
by Tsar Kasmin
• Amazing PowerPoint Presentation http://ﬂickr.com/photos/maubrowncow/
2763362494/ by maubrowncow
• Slide from “If You Build It, Will They Care?” http://www.slideshare.net/charbooth/if-
you-build-it-will-they-care-1159058 By Char Booth and Chris Guder.
• Dewey or don't we? http://ﬂickr.com/photos/scampion/1500054745/ By scampion
• RISK #2 http://ﬂickr.com/photos/tollaksen/967960/ by Bjornar
• Perfection http://ﬂickr.com/photos/unloveable/2401166750/ by unloveable
• IMG_2016.JPG http://ﬂickr.com/photos/stevenjude/848723658/ by stevenjude
• Toolbox full http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/zakh/337938459/ by Austin ampersand
• Wait: I’ll ﬁx it. http://ﬂickr.com/photos/stshores24/488419188/ by sshores24
• Farm Cat Group http://ﬂickr.com/photos/weesmalldoll/432578986/ by weesmalldoll
• The Spongebob Square, Er, Roundpants Juggle http://ﬂickr.com/photos/cayusa/
2574029855/ by Cayusa
• Rapid Shufﬂe http://ﬂickr.com/photos/latitudes/66424863/ by Johnny Blood
• sunny day http://ﬂickr.com/photos/iamthebestartist/2226165685/ by jessamyn
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.