4. NEW BOARD MEMBERSStephanie Scott, Communications & Social Media @WildfireJane @SMCYVR
5. NEW BOARD MEMBERSDennis Pang, Lead Blogger smcyvr.com @DennisPang @GoPopocorn
6. NEW BOARD MEMBERSRebecca Peel, Events @rebeccaapeelCongratulations to Rebecca on her new role withEngineers without Borders she will be leaving us May :(
7. SOCIAL MEDIA FORSOCIAL GOOD @MegaphoneMag @HopeinShadows
8. HISTORY OF SOCIAL NETWORKING The History of Social Networking Infographic
9. THE HISTORY OF SOCIAL MEDIA
10. THE OLD SOCIAL MEDIA
11. THE REIGN OF SOCIAL MEDIA“The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them ignorant.” -M. Robespierre, 1758 - 1794.
12. THE REIGN OF SOCIAL MEDIA Conclusion: Throughout history, crowds have rarely, if ever been active forces for good.
13. FROM CONVERSATION TO COLOSSEUM =“The magistrates are the ministers for the laws, the judges their interpreters, the rest of us are servants of the law, that we all may be free.” -Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106 - 43 BCE.
14. FROM CONVERSATION TO COLOSSEUMConclusion: Conversation devoid of subsequent action has no legitimacy.
15. A MILLION VILLAGES“In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet.” -Arthur Conan Doyle, Sir Nigel, 1906.
16. A MILLION VILLAGESConclusion: Communities are often conceived as barriers to the world, not gateways.
17. DIGITAL DUELISTS“I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand lead him to a quiet place and kill him.” -Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910.
18. DIGITAL DUELISTSConclusion: Debate issues are often times imaginary, or created simply for the purposes of the duel.
19. INTERESTING READ j.mp/smhbook
20. SMCYVR HISTORY2006 2007 - 082009 - Egos & Exhaustion 2010 Things happened but no one will talk about them and Google knows nothing...
21. NEXT EVENT...Wednesday April 27th, A panel. -@AHAMediaMedia, PR and Marketing: Beyond the Press ReleaseLocation: TBA on SMCYVR.com & FB
22. OPENINGS...Events - You are... full of energy, comfortable with event logistics, connected, full of ideas for events, available at least 20 hours/month, stoked about SMCYVR.Membership - You are... A self-starter, personable, someone who likes meeting new people, organized, available at least 20 hours/month, excited about SMCYVR Interested? Contact @KempEdmonds or any SMCYVR Member!
23. OPEN MICDoing an event in the next month?Something cool happening?Launching a social media project for good?It’s your turn. You’ve got 30 seconds!Back it up with a tweet + link! Use #SMCYVRMM