Using Online Technologies in Post Secondary Education to Thrive
Using Online Technologies in Post
Secondary Education to Thrive
with Kemp Edmonds
Overview - Game Plan
"Using Online Technologies in Post Secondary Education to Thrive"
Online communications technologies continue to facilitate the types of interactions that human
beings have been making for centuries only now we use digital means to conduct those
New and emerging technologies are enabling students to thrive in the Post Secondary
environment whether they are shy in the classroom or are unable to physically attend classes.
These technologies are empowering students and educators but not without sometimes great
efforts to change habits and to open channels for communication and interaction.
This talk will explore examples of those technologies and how they allow students, educators
and stakeholders to thrive in Post Secondary Education.
“Someone with ADD, memory issues or agoraphobia, a fear of going
out, for example, may find it quite stressful even just driving to the
university and parking. With Skype, you don’t have to travel — you
can work right from your home. So it uses much less energy.” -
Diverse Learners Founder, Kerry Pace.
UK-based Diverse Learners delivers all services via Skype.
“People use social
media generally revolve around
the need to create, modify, share
and discuss internet content in a
● Personal: examples include creating online commentary of personal thoughts, sharing photos and
discussing social events.
● Work: examples include creating a résumé, creating professional connections and discussing job
● Entertainment: examples include sharing videos, following discussion from celebrities, discussing
strategies in online games.
● Provision of goods and services: examples include sharing information about a product, responding
to user feedback about a product, accessing government services.
● Education: examples include participation in online classes and sharing learning resources.
Social Media Discussion