And it is important we help stimulate their minds during the summer because as teachers we have to motivate them to turn off the TV and explore the world around them. Let’s face it, many of our students will spend a lot of time laying dormant and watching TV.
It’s socialSometimes you need a little help from your friends (cheats)Integrates movement, visuals, multimedia, popular music, graphics and basically is a representation of the world teens and kids want to be immersed inGoal-oriented- Aim to reach the next levelEach more challenging, but achievableMust complete tasksCollect items that help within the journey (learning is all around you)Discover a new world each time you achieve a levelPositive stressFailure part of the journeyTry again till you reach your goal with no penaltiesEvery kid can be a hero as long as they keep tryingVia Paul Maglione, Slidesha.re/pmteenmotivation
Learning can be fun! During the school break is when we can show students this because it is optional! They will choose to continue learning or not and when they do they will be able to do fun things not hindered by standardized tests and a curriculum…
1. ShellyTerrell@gmail.com Bit.ly/ELTLINKs
2. It is a fact that inthe rightformation, thelifting power ofmany wings canachieve twicethe distance ofany bird flyingalone.~ Milton Olson
3. Who Am I?
4. •Divide the class and seat them across from each other.•Scenario: The company is partnering co-workers for a special project. Youmust figure out who you’d be most compatible with since you’ll work withhim/her for the year.•Each student handed a card with everyone’s names and where they can jotdown similarities, differences, & more about each person.• The teacher starts the timer for 1-2 minutes and each student tries to find outas much about the other person by talking•Then they switch to the next person.•They must mark down 3 people they’d like to work with and write a shortparagraph explaining why.
5. Show and Tell
6. Meaningful Mementos
7. •Each student tells 2truths and 1 lie aboutthemselves•The other studentsguess which is thelie
8. Old Photos Revisited
9. Bucket Lists
10. Goal Collages/Vision Boards Goal Poster by EvelynGiggles, Flickr, CC 2.0