Retail Store Design• Retail store exists to cater the needs of their customers.• Certain needs ,anatomical abilities ,tendencies, body limitations r common to all customers of the store.• Retail store environment has to fulfill above needs of customers• Differences in shoppers environment requirement bound to exist in particular stores catchments area, still stores needs to b designed to reflect an environment in which majority shoppers can feel comfortable.• Creating a suitable design for the store and provide a feel good shopping environment becomes a competitive edge for the store in retail market. Retailer first needs to catch the C’ eye and draw his attention to their store to keep him staying away from other stores.• In most cases it is the image and perception of the store that sets one store apart from other.• Shopping today has become sensory experience, and while other components like merchandise mix also plays in building image of the store it is the manner and store environment which differentiates based on sensory appeals like sight, touch, sound, and smell which makes shopping experience for C.
• Shopping experience thru store design ,image has to b in tune with merchandise, advertising and services offered by the store. Mix of all elements of design attracts C and brings profit to store• Importance of store design-• Store design and layout tells what the store is all about. Like giving a personality to store. A very strong tool in the hands of a retailer for communicating and creating the image of the store in the minds of a C.• It is the creation of store image which is a starting point in any marketing efforts.• Store design important not only from retailers perspective but also for consumer.• Retailer looks at store design from view point of target audience ,their needs , buying habits, and merchandise which is going to sell.• Consumer feels store design should b simple to move ,navigate, must b appealing to his sensory perceptions, create a sense of belongings, a sense of relationship- security-assurance and a pleasure in shopping experience.
• Merchandise in store, sales people, location and pricing all works towards creating an image and physical attributes of store affects sensory perceptions of C thru which C relates the store in a particular manner.• Elements of exterior design• Many a times exterior draws attention and provides first impression to C.Intresting window displays, an impressive building, and inviting entrance all entice C to enter store. Even a style of shop sign/name board forms an input for C, Retailers r aware today about impact of exterior for favorable image of store• Exterior store design is a function of 1-location and combination of facilities like site, ease of access, parking,2-building architecture,3-frontage and entrance,4- exterior display space, 5- health and safety provisions mainly in west. Some retailers use frontage to showcase campaigns or use heritage buildings for a look of store. Theme for exterior depends on target to serve and merchandise mix to b offered.( fig)
• In case store located in mall or center overall look of the mall or center, its image decides the exterior. Store located in Taj also gets same tag.• Exterior store design –a combo of store windows+lightings+identity, commonly known as ‘marquee’• Elements of interior design-• Aesthetics form s integral part of interior design1- fixtures- used for storing and displaying merchandise, either wall or floor fixture ,Racks, stands ,shelves r made of wood or glass, steel ,synthetic.Usualy fixtures r flexible so as to adjust size to suit merchandise.2- Floorings and ceilings- lighting r at ceilings,a,c, ducts, floorings could b changed to suit image, e.g. jewelry needs carpets and super market easy maintenance floor.3-Lighting.- as per theme, kind of products sold for favorable impression of merchandise4-Graphics and signage-Meant for informing C’s about products, special offers, prices. If signages used in windows it entice C to enter in store. E.g.. enlarged photos, posters r used and merchandise is kept ear to enhance product look.
• Graphics and signage used inside store can help 1-identifying brands, 2-indicate –new arrivals/releases,3-offer directions to various departments ,4-helps customer to locate products while seeking.• Graphics classified as-1-Theme graphics-fallowed in store or in chain,2-campaign- related to current ad campaign,3- promotional-related to promotional campaigns to particular dept.• Signages used as-1-merchandise related- to inform C abt its location, prices ,features etc.2-directional signs- to direct C for cash counters, wrapping areas etc,3-Instructional signs- to inform C that store having electronic survillance,lift under repairs etc,4-courtesy signs—to say thank u, visit again etc,5- srore directory-inform C location of various departments placed near entrance, staircase or lifts• Food stores use best graphics and signage-fast food restaurant for quick guide what to buy e.g.mac-donalds shows meal combinations graphically with price and product name. C while waiting in Q decides his order or get induced to purchase more
• 5-Atmospherics-An imp element of interior store design. Design of an store environment thru,1-visual communications,2- lightings,3-color,4-music and scent. Mainly meant for stimulating perceptual and emotional response of C. to offer pleasant, on-intrusive atmosphere to C to feel relaxed from worries of wrong measurement,fittings,and color combo etc. weekend music etc• Store layouts-• Integral to interior store design is layout. The manner in which merchandise or products arranged in store. It affects movement of C in store. Ideal layout provides a balance between Merchandise displayed and productivity.• To facilitate movement and flow of C in entire store. Areas demarcated 1-prime selling ,2-impulse merchandise areas,3- seasonal merchandise areas.• Entrance as “decomposition zone Transition to new environment. Rarely buying occurs at entry point as C takes time to adjust. guys say May I assist u but usually NO as C still adjusting as per predefined list of items to buy. C needs time before attempt to sell products. Use entry zone for deep discount merchandise or flowers, seasonal like umbrellas, artificial flowers etc.
• Types of Layouts-• 1-Grid, 2-Race track, 3- Free form.• Grid- mostly used in super mkts and discount stores. One area along the wall and other in parallel display strips to facilitate easy within movement and space utilization. Preferred in many stores.• Racetrack-also called as Loop, popular in departmental stores to link individual merchandise while walking in store.• Freeform-arranged in asymmetrical manner to encourage more browsing in shop ,takes more space• Functional layouts- to suit available space, right merchandise at right place, ensure guaranteed visibility, closer inspections like in book stores, cooking oil cans in food store, U shaped counters than l shaped to facilitate groups/family to stand.• Circulation Plan or directing flow of traffic-• Every retailer wants C to enter and circulate thru entire store. Most adopt placing strategically demand and impulse products at various points in store to encourage move and browse in store. Many provide separate entrance and exit to make C to cover before leaving. Grocery as demand at end to encourage.
• Layout selection-chief consideration• Every retailer wants to use available space in most efficient manner with the help of suitable layout. 1-layout which allows complete presentation of merchandise to C.which encourage moving complete store to tap unplanned purchase. so many keep separate entry and exit.• Right balance between space for displays and service areas to maximize ROI• Layout design to take care of all age groups, including wheel chairs ramps, seating for aged as long standing .• Layout to suit intended merchandise to sell and target audience. Look for Below 25 and above 30 age can b casual and formal
Space planning-• space planning helps retailer determining 1-available space allocation for storage and selling purpose,2- location of various departments,3-location of various products within department i.e. creation of Plano- gram,4-destinatin areas, seasonal products, impulse products, complementary goods i.e. adjacent dept,5-relationship of space to profitability.• Space planning is element not only of retail design and also of merchandise and category management as these functions r responsible for overall profitability linked to space.• Factors considered in locating various departments- 1- amount of traffic generated by that department and the potential sales, items with high demand and fairly good traffic need not occupy space near entrance.fragerence, jwelary,cosmetics, being impulse items may b placed near entrance, whereas mens wear, casual wears r places on 1st or 2nd floor, crossword children corners to encourage footfalls.2-an analysis of footfalls in department, sales potential, basket analysis of C likely to buy. Coordinated approach rather than departments e.g. ladies footwer,handbags with dresses if placed is better.3-cross-mix merchandise-C is able to visualize together. E.g. home section- bathroom accessories.4-niche area for similar goods
The planogram• A tool used by retailer to determine locations of merchandise within departments in a diagram form which communicates how merchandise and props physically fit onto a store fixture or window to allow for visibility and price point options.• It is created taking into account product sales, movement of products within particular category and space required for the various products. Exact area in sq ft for various products to b displayed in particular area.• It helps retailer how displays to b made, consistency of presentation across locations C feels familiar, comfortable when products presented in same manner across locations of chain of stores, Helps in brand building, loylty,trust.• I.T. is models r being used to create Plano grams
Visual merchandising• The orderly,systematic,logical and intelligent way of putting stock on the floor.• Involves SKU planning, store windows, floor displays,signs,space designs, fixtures and hardware, props and mannequins.• Retailing becoming complex creating right atmosphere and presenting merchandise in right way becomes necessity.• Good understanding of products and customer is vital for visual merchandising means a selling space that is neat, easy to see,folow and shop, It enables C to buy quickly, efficiently and comfortably.• Methods of display- 1- color dominance-associating color for display of particular merchandise2- co-ordinate presentation-All garments ,all home items etc 3- presentation by price-Inexpensive, bargain or sale merchandise is displayedStore designs – being used as competitive advantage
• Retailing image mix -thru coordination of fallowing elements with store design and maintain image-1- signs and graphics a) use signs as informative to customers, b) use of signs and graphics as props, c) keep sign and graphics fresh, 2- Lighting- a) to highlight full merchandise, b) popping the merchandise– i.e. focusing lights only on special features of item. c) to capture moods –warm ,cozy ambience ,d) to downplay features-Lighting can hide errors,3- Color- cool colors, red colors increase blood pressures, warm colors to attract attention,4- Music- suitable to customers, evening for young crowd , afternoon for middle aged, 5-Scent- smell impacts emotions- feeling of, happiness, hunger.