Self Learning Centers
Linking both the axis of Education : Students and Teachers
Team NUHope : Shubham Pachori(Coordinator) ,
Manmohit Rekhi , Divya Chordia, Mohini Agnihotri and
Theme - Stepping Stones:
Enhancing The Quality of Primary
Indian education system largest in Common wealth countries and 2nd
largest in the world next to USA. Though Statics narrate a different story.
0 10 20 30 40 50 60
J & K
Student Enrollment Ratio • Out of approx. 211 million
children in the (6-14 yrs) age
group - 84.91 % are enrolled in
• More than 35 million children in
the (6-14) age group are out of
• Net primary school
enrolment/attendance is only
• By year 2016 there will be approx.
500 million people with less than
five years of schooling.
Student Teacher Ratio a
• Five lacs new teachers are to be recruited
and 5 lacs new classrooms are to be
constructed to meet the required 30 : 1
pupil teacher ratio.
• There are seven lacs teachers in the
recognized 13 lacs primary schools. Out of
these, three lacs teachers are either
untrained or under-training.
• In many states large number of teachers
are Para-teachers and many of them are
• As per a recent report by SSA, Bihar tops
amongst the states having poor pupil-
teacher ratio and Uttar Pradesh comes at
• In about 35 percent primary schools in
Uttar Pradesh, pupil teacher ratio is 60:1.
Fifty one percent primary schools in Uttar
Pradesh are having three or less number
of teachers. Out of these, 38 percent are
Ma'am is Teaching
Profit Loss but I
can’t solve simple
12 * x = 48. But
what is x???
Self Learning Center aims at Bridging this mental ability gap by just
employing some fun based learning Techniques in the Pre-existing model.
This will enable students to explain , What they are doing in the class ? and
Why are they doing it?
NUHope is an initiative driven by a group of Passionate Undergraduates and Professionals
Developing a Team of core instructors
from Passionate Undergraduates ,
Mentors and Educationists
•Extremely Low cost and feasible Self Learning Center
incorporating the models like that of famous mentor Arvind
Gupta toys from trash.
•Passionate Undergraduates coming from various walks of life will
provide their creative inputs to improve the existing model of self
•Incorporating mentors and educationist for designing Fun based
learning programs benefiting both teachers as well as students.
Instructor driven Self
• Bridge courses: To Bridge mental ability gap which some
time arises in curriculum based teaching due to varying
grasping power of kids with in a class.
• Fun Based Learning Program: To inculcate practical approach
towards theoretical concepts.
• Instructors devoting 3-4 hours a week for conducting fun
based learning sessions and developing course content.
Implementation Model : We
are not reinventing the
• Tapping the hidden potential in these passionate
• Aiding the present network of municipal corporation schools
under RTE(Right to Education) which are in dire need of skilled
instructors and having high student teacher ratio of 57:1.
• Aiding the theoretical based curriculum with Fun activities
based learning Program.
Edge SLC’s have over
Developing A Network Of Volunteers
Drawn From Various Walks Of Life
•Involving innovators like
Arvind Gupta (Toys from
Trash) and Agastya
Foundation so that we can
have some out of box ideas
for designing innovative
Fun based learning
• The Undergraduates
which have been part
of the model can be
the mentors for the
pioneers in the
• Recruitment of the
demo lecture in
which they will be
tested for their
Developing an Organizational Structure at
Regional And Central Level .ChiefCoordinator
Recruits volunteers from all possible channels.
Core Teaching Team:
Implementing the Fun based Learning curriculum at the
municipal schools coming under a particular SLC.
Designing the Fun based learning model through flow of creative inputs
from all possible channel viz. Educationist , Mentors and Innovators
who are pioneers in the primary education system.
Management Of The Funds in the most optimized way.
Managing and Public Reach Team:
Coordinating other teams , Sponsorship support, Expanding The
The model depicted above is being implemented by us in a municipal school in Ahemdabad for last one year.
The SLC model Will be Funded through Government
Schemes , Social & Corporate Responsibility Cell of
Corporate companies And through a network of
• Establishment Cost for Developing Fully equipped SLC.
• Cost efficient Interactive Installations Costs viz. Fully equipped Laboratories.
and activity rooms promoting “Best From Waste”.
•For providing Honorary Mementos to the Educationists and Mentors volunteering in
•For providing Incentives to The Undergraduate Volunteers in form of Discount
Coupons viz. Special offers from Flipkart , HomeShop18 and Crossword on College
Books, providing them special Tuition Fees waivers for online professional courses.
• Advertisement Campaign Costs.
• Communication Expenses.
• For Developing an Online platform for the Fun Based
Learning Model of SLC’s.
Ignite Hope, Spread Happiness , Make A Difference (Visit us at https://www.facebook.com/nu.hope.lives)
The SLC’s aims at imparting education to 35
million students in the age group(6-14) who are
out of formal education.
Impact and Reach
• At the first stage of implementation 500
volunteers to be recruited into the various teams
• Covering atleast 3,000 students in the Municipal
Schools of Ahmedabad through SLC’s spread
across the city.
• Through SLC’s we are imparting the questioning
capability to the children.
• Through the model proposed we were actually
able to bridge the mental ability gap which
existed earlier in the students at the school we
presently visit in Ahmedabad.
• 20 students of the 6 grade which were earlier
were not able to understand the abstract idea of
magnetism were benefited through 12 Week
Science Program. The program aims at imparting
education through practical based learning.
At present we are reaching out 200 students of a municipal school at Ahmedabad through 20 passionate volunteers.
• Undergraduates in various institutions are not
inspired enough to work for a social cause. Most
of them can’t associate themselves with the
• Key Educationist and Mentors will not be able to
spare time from their busy professional
• Government and Corporate companies will be
reluctant to invest in the model driven by
• Designing a Fun Based Learning Curriculum
will be the most challenging factor.
• Integration with pre-existing teaching model
and involving teachers at every step of
implementation will pose a serious risk.
• As its volunteer based program consistency
issues will be there. As there priorities may
change in future.
• A self sustainable and self funded model.
• Creating a great public reach through
Advertisement and Public Awareness
Campaigns on Fun Based Learning Programs.
• Reaching out to philanthropist and
encouraging them to invest in our model.
• Involving social innovators viz. Salman Khan
(of Khan Academy), Arvind Gupta (of Toys
• Incorporating an online social networking
site like google+ for discussion and
brainstorming with the educationists and
SLC Driven by Passionate Undergraduates Faces key
implementation and conceptual risks
The model we have at NUHope is self sustainable the funds required are raised by the alumni associated with us.
• Annual Status of Education Report (ASER).
• Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan.
• Arividam Project Being implemented by Kerala government.
• Agastya foundation
• Innovative model of Arvind Gupta - Toys From Trash.
• Interaction sessions with Arvind Gupta Sir and Vidya madam(of
• NUPEA Report