2. Why Don’t Employees Do What We Want Them To Do?• Don’t know what to do.**• Don’t know how to do it.• Don’t know why they should.• Obstacles beyond their control.• Don’t think it will work.• Think their way is better.• Not motivated – poor attitude.
3. Why Don’t Employees Do What We Want Them To Do?• Incapable of doing it.• Not enough time.• Working on wrong priority items.• They think they are doing it already.• Poor management.• Personal issues.**Given as first or second answer 99% of the time, but managers rarely start there.
4. CoachingCoaching focuses on future possibilities, not past mistakes. A manager’s responsibility is to provide support to the employee in the attainment of possibilities so that both may succeed.
5. Coaching Analysis• Identify unsatisfactory performance• Does the employee know their performance is not what it should be?• Does the employee know what is supposed to be done and when?• Are there obstacles beyond the employee’s control?• Does employee know how to do it?
6. Coaching Analysis• Do negative consequences follow performance?• Do positive consequences follow non-performance?
7. Coaching: The Discussion• Getting agreement a problem exists• Mutually discuss alternative solutions• Mutually agree on action to be taken to solve the issue• Follow up to ensure actions is taken and recognize any achievement
9. Coaching: Feedback• Needs of person receiving the feedback• Focus on behavior the receiver can do something about• Define impact on you, unit/team, company• “I” statements versus “You” statements• Message received?• Be calm, sincere and monitor body language
10. Coaching: Feedback• Reinforcement is the most effective form of feedback• Criticism is the most ineffective• Difference between criticism and advice is timing• Criticism overpowers all other feedback• Silence is not always “golden” – leaves open for misinterpretation
12. Employee Defense Strategies• Excuses and sympathy• Apology and promises• Switching• Anger• Tears• Self-pity• Innocence and blaming• Friendliness
13. Coaching: DESCribe• Describe behaviors• Effect• Pause and Listen• Solicit input• Collaborate/choose what to do• Follow-up, review performance and determine next steps/plan
14. Keys to Coaching• Contact and communication• Counseling• Mentoring• Provide education• Conflict resolution