• Information about outcomes is of high importance; where students “end up” matters greatly.
To improve outcomes, we need to know about the student experiencealong the way about the curricula, teaching and kind of student effort that lead to particular outcomes.
Learning Competencies• The learning objectives in process- oriented performance based assessment are stated in directly observable behaviors of the students
Are defined as groups or clusters of skills and abilities needed for a particular task. The objectives generally focuses on those behaviors which exemplify a “best practice” for the particular task.
Example of Learning Competencies for a Process- Oriented Performance Based Assessment• Task: Make a report on the diseases and disorders of the Integumentary System.
• Objectives: The activity aims to know the different diseases and disorders of the Integumentary System. Specifically,1. Enumerate the diseases and disorders of the integumentary system.2. Classify each diseases and disorder whether they are caused by bacteria, fungi or viruses.3. Show pictures of the skin diseases and disorders.
5. Ask the audience/students to make a generalization on the importance of our integumentary system.
Simple Competencies1. Color the accessory organs of the skin.2. Enumerate the different organ systems that composes our body.3. Follow the procedures on testing the presence of starch in the different samples.
Complex Competencies1. Draw and color the accessory organs of the skin.2. Enumerate and give the specific functions of each organ system that composes our body.3. Based from your experiment, write the step by step procedure in testing the presence of starch in the different food samples.
Mr. Ronnie Z. Valenciano Jr.Bachelor of Secondary Education (Major in Biological Science)
• Learning tasks need to be carefully planned.• In particular, the teacher must be ensure that the particular learning process to observed contributes to the overall understanding of the subject or course.
Standards for Designing a Task• Identify an activity that would highlight the competencies to be evaluated.• Identify an activity that would entail more or less the same sets of competencies.• Find a task that would be interesting and enjoyable for the students.
TOPIC: Understanding BiodiversityPossible Task Design:1. Bring the students to the pond.2. Ask them to find all living organisms.
• Science laboratory classes are particularly suitable for a process- oriented performance based assessment technique.
Class Activity• TOPIC: Anatomy of ButterflyPossible Task Design:1. Bring the students to the garden and let them observe the butterflies present. Let them identify the body parts of butterfly and determine each functions.
Class ActivityPossible Task Design:1. Show the concept of FOOD CHAIN through Dramatization.