• Menial Jobs
• Subject from students that are unable to
perform well academically.
• Common sense subject.
• Preparation for household
WHAT IS HOME ECONOMICS?
• Home economics is arts and science of home
SCIENCE and ARTS ?
How each ingredients
functions to create the
The scientific principle
of heat transfer
What causes the
mixture to rise?
What causes the outer
crust of the cake to be
darker than the inside?
Which colors work
together to make the
What design is suitable
for the occasion?
What textures and
shapes are suitable?
What angle should I
hold the forcing bag
when icing the cake?
COMPONENTS OF HOME ECONOMICS
OFFERED AT ST JAGO HIGH
• Food and nutrition
• Clothing and textiles
• Home Management
WHY STUDY HOME ECONOMICS?
• Allows you to make responsible choices about
your diet and food.
• Helps you to manage your time, money and
• Provides you with information which can be
disseminated to your parents and other members
of the society.
• Helps you to connect content you learn with real
WHY STUDY HOME ECONOMICS?
• Gives you a sense of self as and help you to
• Allows you to become aware of values and
lifestyles that are different from your own.
• Helps you to make reasoned judgments in
What will I learn in Home Economics?
Some of the things you will learn about are:
Your body - what is good to eat and how to keep
food - how it nourishes your body, how to choose it,
store it, and how to prepare and cook it
using money - how to spend it wisely, how to save it,
and how you are protected as a consumer
Your home - about design in the home, about safety
Practical assignments in food and nutrition, clothing &
textiles and home management
• A person who is creative enough to have new
ideas and practical enough to turn all those
ideas into a product.
• Takes other peoples’ ideas and puts them
together in ways that look fresh to the
• Selects the clothing for magazines, television
advertising campaigns, music videos, public
appearances made by celebrities, models or
other public figures.
• Works very closely with the research
department of a textiles company to develop:
• Spots trends by visiting stores, talking to other
people and travelling to other parts of the
world to see what is selling there. The stylist
reports back to the textile designer with
recommendation for colour combinations and
• Expert in clothing of eras past.
• Researchers who use documents and archives
from the museums, libraries, and historical
• Describe what people wore and explain how
these garments reflect the period of history.
• Authenticate garment for the auction house.
• Restore antique clothes given to a museum.
Textiles Chemist are responsible for
• Creating new fibres
• Finishes – example water repellant finishes
Must be able to work with a team accurate,
patient and have a creative mind and talent
for problem solving
• Marketing is an overall term for the process
of buying and selling goods.
• People with jobs in marketing include:
• market researchers
• sales analysts
• advertising and promotion specialists
• sales representation
• Sales analysts is the study of what has sold in
the past in order to predict what will sell in
• A careful analysis of sales can give the
manufacturer information about what styles,
colours and fabrics have traditionally sold in
best in different section of a country or
different parts of a world.
• Specializes in drawing the human figure. The
drawing are usually drawn in a stylized
• This means that the figure
are taller, with longer arms and
legs and have more elegant faces
than real life drawing of people.
FASHION ILLUSTRATOR CONT’D
• Fashion illustrators must be able to use
texture and shading to indicate different types
• Fashion illustrators also work is used in
• pattern envelopes
• posters and anywhere fashion art is needed
• Fashion photographers often photograph
models wearing high fashion clothes, jewelry,
shoes or hair accessory.
• Fashion photographers capture
the product in a creative way,
showing the aesthetic side
of the product with great
creative skill and eye for details.
• The role of the food stylist is to make the food
look attractive in the finished photograph.
• The main difference between how a home cook
or chef may present food and what a stylist does
is the time and effort a stylist takes to carefully
and artfully arrange the food.
• Requires the visual know how, and ability to
translate the perception of taste, aroma and
appeal that one gets from an actual dish, to a
• Develop food standards and production
specifications, safety and sanitary regulations.
• Develop new food items for production.
• Develop new or improved ways of preserving,
processing, packaging, storing, and delivering
foods, using knowledge of chemistry,
microbiology, and other sciences.
• Ensures that athletes maintain their fitness via
nutritional meals and drinks.
• Design meal plans with an emphasis on
increasing an athlete's energy and immunity
in addition to improving his concentration and
• Decorates homes, shops, offices and other
• Works directly with clients, giving them advice
on which colour schemes, layout, wallpaper
and furniture are best for a particular space.
• Involves scientific study of the biological,
psychological, and sociological
phenomena associated with old
age and aging
• Helps elderly citizens coping with
family problems, long-term
illnesses, disability issues,
• Manages, administers and coordinates
programs and services designed to empower
individuals who have been wronged by a
corporate or industry.
• Focus on changing undesirable behaviors.
• Work with troubled teens, younger children
with behavior problems, and the families and
professionals who live with, educate, treat
and assist in managing them.
NOW THAT YOU KNOW WILL YOU
BE THE NEXT…
• Mission catwalk winner
• Iron Chef
• Super nanny
• Fashion designer
• Fashion Journalist