Talent at Aditya Birla Group
“We unearth something more valuable than iron
ore, copper, bauxite and manganese ore. It’s called talent.”
Aditya Birla Group, believes that talent is ‘omnipresent’ and all
people have some talent.
Identifying talent, training and developing them are the pillars of
talent management process.
It enables managers to make career moves, which leverage their
strengths and focus on areas of development as they prepare for
ABG uses a combination of developmental assignments, classroom
training, coaching and participation in special project teams to
enable employees to continuously learn and develop.
• Development assessment centres (DACs): DACs have been designed to
support managers in assessing and developing their capabilities. Over 1,200
managers across all management levels have participated in the DACs since 2003.
• Individual Development Plane (IDP): Post-DAC, the developmental goal for
an individual, in terms of priorities for learning and development experiences to
move to the next career stage, is captured through the individual development
plan (IDP). These are monitored on a real time basis for tracking implementation
on the PeopleSoft platform.
• Talent reviews: A three-tier annual talent review process, held at the unit level,
business level and Group level, ensures a focused approach to the implementation
of lDP. The review discussions provide meaningful input into the career and
succession planning process.
• Talent engagement: Business heads anchor programs aimed at developing
leadership potential and are personally involved in the design of specific courses.
Other initiatives, such as the Chairman's Challenge and Ideas Unlimited, provide in
depth engagement opportunities with hi-potentials.
Talent Management initiatives in 2008
• Created new channels of communication.
• Geography wise HR partners to aid employee interaction.
• Buddies for all new hires on their date of joining the
• Initiated Speak your Mind : projects interface with HR.
• Various spot awards and informal rewards recognizing
deserving new recruits.
• Training boot camp for freshers.
• Strengthen the Training and Competency function,
introducing the Monthly training calendars.
• Employee integration activities to foster fun at workplace.
• Routine medical check ups of project team members.
LEAD - Leadership Program for the Experienced.
• Launched in January 2007
• To groom exceptional individuals to be the future leaders of the
Aditya Birla Group.
• LEAD is an intensive six - month, on - the - job training program.
• Individuals with at least four years of pre or post MBA experience
are eligible to apply for LEAD.
Rotational training for six months with 2 or 3 intensive assignments.
Assignment matches based on business goals & the participant’s interests,
strengths and development needs.
Final review by senior management.
Role change and/or movement within the group every 2 or 3 years
LEAP – Leadership Associate Program
• LEAP is an intensive 1 - year, on - the - job training program.
• Individuals with 0 - 18 months of experience prior to MBA are
eligible to apply for LEAP.
Rotational training for one year with 5 or 6 intensive assignments
Assignment matches based on business goals and the
participant’s interests, strengths and development requirements
The assignments expose participants to a variety of disciplines
and business functions within their area of specialisation.
Mandatory international stint, sales stint, plant/unit stint and CSR stint
Mid - year and final review by senior management
Role change and/or movement within the Group every 2 to 3 years
“Gyana (Knowledge) and Udaya (Dawn).”
Two substantive ideas. A formidable combination.
• ‘Gyanodaya’ - The Aditya Birla Institute of Management learning, established to
strengthen the management capabilities of our managers has successfully
managed to achieve more.
• Gyanodaya conducts more than 80 programs a year and to date. As many as 7,000
managers have successfully completed at least one Gyanodaya program - and now
see business ventures in a new light.
• To provide quality programs it collaborate with some of the best learning
institutions and experts across the world. Many luminaries, including
Prof. Das Narayandas of the Harvard Business School, Prof. Venkat Ramaswamy
from the Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan and Mrs. Barbara
Darling from the Hay Group have recently shared their perspectives with ABG
“It's not enough to learn a new skill. You've got to master it.”
ABG believes, Learning is a continuous process and it
calls for time, commitment and patience.
ABG has partnered with Singapore’s Universitas 21 to
offer an Online MBA Program to help employees acquire
the latest management techniques and broaden their
vision with a global perspective that is in line with our
E – Learning
Click, Click, Click, Learn!
Learn at your own pace - Virtual Campus have as many as 250
courses on subjects ranging from basic communication skills
to specific technical programs all at employees fingertips!
Over 9,500 e - learners hone their skills virtually every day
from over 200 locations across the globe.
E – Learners have fetched a phenomenal 93% course
completion score the highest in the world so far, a statistic
much higher than the 68% reached by the American Society
for Training and Development (ASTD), which is one of the
world’s most respected training bodies.