Copyright protection? • Any work is copyrighted. Even if it does not say so.
• Whenever something is posted on the internet, the user is given an implied license to share, print, read or downloaded.
• If one intends, he can give his work an express license by attaching a creative commons (www.creativecommon s.org) license to the materials posted on the website.
• The libraries license academic resources for the use of their students.
• One can also get permission to use a piece of work by obtaining the permission to use it through www.copyright.com. • For the use in classroom you may use these resources as a fair use checklist: www.copyright.iupui.edu/checklist.htm; www.umuc.edu/library/copy.shtml#fairuse
• Up to $150,000 in penalties. • For the ignorance of the law one is liable for damages anyway If one disregards copyright laws the court would be willing to grant the highest penalties.
The TEACH act• TEACH Act covers works a teacher would show or play during class such as movie or music clips, images of artworks or a poetry reading. • TEACH Act does not cover materials the teacher may want students to study, read, listen to or watch on their own time outside of class. • Checklist for the TEACH act may be found at: http://copyright.lib.utexas.edu/teachact.html
Orphan works• Because “orphan works” lack sufficient information to identify their owners or the date, most remain outside the digital environment. • It could have been used for nonprofit purposes.
Orphan works• www.openlibrary.org and www.opencontentallianc e.org are sources where orphaned works and public domain may be accessed.
http://copyright.lib.utexas.edu/Copyright symbol101 [web image]. Retreived on March 31, 2012 from Google imageshttp://thatboystringy.blogspot.com/2010/06/copyright-101.htmlWhat is copyright? [web image]. Retrieved on March 31, 2012 from Google images http://www.loven.co.uk/?page_id=779Copyright_logo [web image]. Retrieved on March 31, 2012 from Google imageshttp://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2010/08/12/trademark-copyright-and-logos/ cc.logo.large [web image]. Retrieved on March 31, 2012 from google images http://creativecommons.org/about/downloads Fair Use Venn diagram [web image]. Retrieved on March 31, 2012 from google imageshttp://www.vennoid.com/2011/05/fair-use-venn-diagram.html Copyright-jail-transparent [web image]. Retrieved on March 31, 2012 from google imageshttp://redroom.com/member/dale-estey/blog/copyright-is-so-wrong-no-you-pay-me-for-using-your-words Music taken from Singh is King original soundtrack