DNA PPT questions chap.16
1. Who were the scientists who worked on DNA and discovered its function, structure, and its
significance in Heredity?
2. What was TH Morgan’s contribution to the DNA race?
3. What contribution did Griffith offer to the study of DNA?
4. What did Avery, McCarty and MacLeod accomplish?
5. What experiment did Chase and Hershey do?
6. What are Chargaff’s rules?
7. Who were the scietists who discovered the structure of DNA and who made a model of it?
8. What two scientists were able to demonstrate the way DNA replicates itself and how?
Explain and show how the carbons are numbered in DNA.
What carbonsare bonded to phosphates?
How do the complementary strands run?
Where are the Hydrogen bonds found in the DNA?
What are the Purines? The Pyrimidines? And how do they bond?
Explain how DNA replicates itself?
What seems to be the function of the helicase enzyme?
What is the second step of DNA rerplication? What enzyme is involved?
Where does the energy come from to replicate?
In what form do the free nucleotides arrive for replication?
To what numbered Carbon are the new nucleotides added?
In what direction does the DNA strand grow? What is the lagging strand on the DNA replicating
What is the lagging strand on the DNA replicating fork?
What are the Okazaki fragments? And how do they bond?
What are the limits to DNA polymerase III?
What is the function of the RNA primer?
What enzyme replaces the RNA primer with DNA nucleotides?
What is still the shortcoming of DNA Polymerase?
What consequence does this shortcoming result into?
What limits the number of cell divisions?
What are telomeres? What does telomerase do?
Summarize the jobs of DNA Polymerase I and III.
What two enzymes are responsible in editing and proofing DNA sequences?
How long does it take Human DNA to replicate its Billion bases and to divide into 2 daughter