4. Protect specific natural areas:All around the world there are specific areas that are being protected because of their natural resources. In these areas noone can build houses, hunt or cut trees. In Ecuador we have many protected areas or National Parks such as Podocarpus , Yasuni and even the Galapagos Islands. The biodiversity in these areas is enormous and in case of the forests they are also called lungs of the earth due to the amount of trees which helps control air pollution.
Environmental problems and solutions
All the living things and the characteristics of the area where we live (temperature, humidity, soil, etc)
POLLUTION DEFORESTATION DESERTIFICATION EXTINCTION OF ANIMALS HABITAT LOSS
The accumulation of harmful substances on the ground, water and air causes pollution. Dissapearance of forest, cutting down of trees, pollution and fires cause Desertification.
The transformation of some landscapes into desert areas when the soil becomes dry and poor is called desertification Habitat loss occurs when natural areas are destroyed to make room for housing or industry. Excessive development, hunting, fires and other actions cause extinction of animals.
Many environmental problems are caused by human actions. That is why we are responsible for finding solutions to these problems. <ul><li>Reduce pollution: </li></ul><ul><li>reduce the amount of garbage we produce. </li></ul>
2. Avoid cutting down trees: we can plant trees in agricultural areas or substitute wood for other materials. 3. Outlaw the hunting of animals: if animals are in danger of extinction.
4. Protect specific natual areas: they are important becuase of their natural resources. Hunting and cutting trees must be forbidden.
LET´S SEE IF YOU REMEMBER: 1. What is the environment? 2. Mention some of the problems according to each picture. All the living things and the characteristics of the area where they live (temperature, humidity, soil, etc) POLLUTION EXTINCTION OF ANIMALS DESERTIFICATION
4. Which are the possible solutions for the environmental problems? Protect natural areas Reduce amount of garbage Avoid cutting down trees. 3. What is the difference between Deforestation and Desertification? Deforestation is the cutting down of trees and dissapearance of forests. Desertification is the transformation of some landscapes into desert areas.
4. Can children do something to help with these problems? YES! Use all sheets in your notebook. Turn the tap off while brushing your teeth. Turn TV off when not watching it.