No, your library’s tech staff doesn’t hate you; or try to confuse you on purpose. They even speak the same language as you do! Yet, often, conflict arises between tech and other library staff. Everyone gets frustrated, and issues don’t get solved as quickly as everyone would like. Discover what you can do to make communication easier and make problem resolutions happen faster. Hear stories and some words of wisdom from actual IT staff who are on the front lines of library technology. Learn how to approach troubleshooting like your tech does, and even some basic things you can do on your own.
“The computer is down!”
• The ILS software temporarily lost network
• A workstation lost network connection
• All workstations lost network connection
• A workstation will not boot
• An unexplained message appeared on a
• A given website will not load
• Someone has disconnected the display from the
workstation, or almost any other possible
“Take the time to explain
If your explanation is
it’s probably not enough.”
--IT guy at Stanford University
What to include?
• Tell the truth
• Is it reproducible?
• What happens if you try another computer
• Screenshot and/or actual text of error
• Don't just say it's broken, say HOW it's